Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer's home range will it return?? >

Deer's home range will it return??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer's home range will it return??

Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer's home range will it return??

I recently read in a article that when deer heard in winter sometimes they will go as far as 50 miles away to be in suitable winter wether. My question is if they go 50 miles away in the winter are they going to return again in the spring??
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vl Whitetail Genereal lv
I recently read in a article that when deer heard in winter sometimes they will go as far as 50 miles away to be in suitable winter wether. My question is if they go 50 miles away in the winter are they going to return again in the spring??
\

hard to think thats true??? i dont buy it.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Spike

I believe it. I hunt in an open area with a bunch of fields around, 40 acres of tall grass, and a very thin timber line that runs on each side of the creek..its goes for miles. From june/july until end of November you can ALWAYS go down there and deer will be there. Thats where I killed my first deer this year. Usually a group of 10-12 deer all in a pack. Always together. The end of November and in December you will NOT see a foot print from a deer. The only thing I can think of is they don't have a reliable food source/cover. Really don't know. Kind of weird.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Spike

hopefully some more people can chip in..

Last edited by Burtle; 01-05-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Spike

I wouldn't think that's true. If they did go that far I doubt they'd come back to the same spot, and think of how many hunters out there talk about seeing the same buck year after year. Even having trailcam pics to document it. I don't think they go that far personally.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Burtle
I believe it. I hunt in an open area with a bunch of fields around, 40 acres of tall grass, and a very thin timber line that runs on each side of the creek..its goes for miles. From june/july until end of November you can ALWAYS go down there and deer will be there. Thats where I killed my first deer this year. Usually a group of 10-12 deer all in a pack. Always together. The end of November and in December you will NOT see a foot print from a deer. The only thing I can think of is they don't have a reliable food source/cover. Really don't know. Kind of weird.

and this makes you think the deer are traveling 50 miles away? lol
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw
and this makes you think the deer are traveling 50 miles away? lol
whoops. My bad. NO, I know they don't go 50 miles. No way in heck. What I mean is, the deer around me go some where. Not sure where.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard when the anti hunters relocate deer, (on our tax payer dollar) they usually die within a few months.

Either they can not adapt to a new location, or the stress of the capture & release..
Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer will yard up in large areas of heavy cover during a severe winter. Will they go 50 miles?, I doubt it. Will they go 5 miles? probably. But they will be back in their summer and fall quarters next spring. My hunting area is largely devoid of deer in the winter, but they are always back in spring.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

I doubt they go 50 miles but I know 9 times out of 10 they return to the same spot year after year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.