Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backup

Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Backup

Who here carries a pistol as well as a rifle/shotgun while hunting? I do and so dose my dad but many people don't. I got use to it when I was younger and now I always have one on me. When deer hunting I either have a 357 44mag or 45colt on my side.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've packed a .22 Pistol with while Coyote Hunting...just in case a squirrel or other small game came in close for a shot and I didn't want to use a .243 for the shot?We aren't allowed to pack any other guns with us while Bow Hunting in MO. so that option is out then!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carry a .357 revolver when calling predators........................

In case I turn into the hunted !

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:15 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I carry the same gun I carry the rest of the time. for the last few years that has been a Glock .40 subcompact. As Sheridan put it..".in case I become the hunted"
or as I put it when asked why I would carry a gun "for when kind words fail". So far my experiences in the wild have been positive but I never forget that some predators have only two legs.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess, that while Deer hunting. I have never felt the need for another firearm. Most any situation I have encountered then, I felt I could handle with the rifle in my hands. I can see the positive aspect of having one with while bow hunting, though.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter View Post
I guess, that while Deer hunting. I have never felt the need for another firearm. Most any situation I have encountered then, I felt I could handle with the rifle in my hands. I can see the positive aspect of having one with while bow hunting, though.
Normally there's not but I use mine mainly to put down a wounded deer shoot it in the ear won't ruin no meat or horns. But we gotta wild dog problem too and They have came after me so I carry one incase Im doin somethin and my rifles out of reach
Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a back up pistol while bear hunting, when I am going to the tree after my hounds. I used to carry a Ruger Super BlackHawk 44 mag., but it was kind of heavy to be packing running through the thick brush and up and down the mountain side. Last week I bought a Smith & Wesson 329PD Airlight 44 mag. with a 4" barrel, much more pleasant to have on your side, so light you hardly even know you have it. Now I cant wait till spring for bear season to open again, hunting mountain lions right now but dont really care to hunt them as much as I do bear.