Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Triple kill!

Old 12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

You got them all cleaned and didnt let them go to waste,that's all that matters in my eyes.I dont shoot young ones but I dont have a problem with anyone that does you pay for the tags not me.Good going
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rbduck
Is it me or are those deer really small?

Ron

Compared to the up North, yes. But the doe(not the one I shot) is considered a big doe down here in TN. Our doe usually don't get over 130 lbs.

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember
MC, If your deer herd is anything like ours, I think that shooting these 3 in one sitting (hunt) is not only fine, but what difference does it make over shooting one one day the others over other days? The Limit is the Limit and filling doe tags is not only legal its part of good game management. Nothing much better than does for the freezer, especially small ones. Sorry if that hurts any feelings but its like a fish that is a “Good Eatin’ Size”.
This year we've had an outstanding amount of deer on our farm. Which I think has a lot to do with us not hunting my land any last year. If I had barely been seeing deer this year I wouldn't have even thought of shooting the first doe. I'd like to see more nice bucks but I can't complain considering we have a huge 150+ 10 pointer runnin around. I saw him but couldn't get a shot and my dad missed him. Other than that I've seen one other mountable buck and 3-4 young bucks with nice racks that will be big next year.

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember
I also get the shooting of a small buck with obvious genetic flaws or one with weird rack to get it out of the gene pool. About the only thing I’d say is, you have a bit more good meat on those necks that is really good in the grinder with the shoulders. You can usually get two nice pieces from the bottom of the neck that run almost to the head and two more ok ones from the spine on up to the head.

Like you I think the meat on the ribs is so full of junk that it is best to feed your foxes with them. If I ever ran into anyone who liked them, I would gladly supply them! HA.
I'm kinda glad he took that deer out because I've seen about 6-7 different spikes this year and I'm hoping they aren't from him.

We ended up giving my dads best friend the bigger does meat because he has given us a lot of deer over the years. And as far as not getting the neck meat, I don't cut them up but I'll tell my dad to look into it next time
Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Good job congrats. I'm going to hunt in Somerville this Saturday and if I don't get one I'll head to Henderson Sunday I'm glad to hear at least some folks in the area are killn deer
Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

that doesnt look to sanitary, i wouldnt want to eat meat that was lying on the ground.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
that doesnt look to sanitary, i wouldnt want to eat meat that was lying on the ground.
They aren't they already took all the good meat off.

Master Chief good shooting. If the law says you can shoot three a day then blast away and I also agree the young ones taste better. I'd but a 90# yearling on my freezer over a 130# doe any day.

Don't worry about the pic either its part of hunting having the leftover remains if people don't like it they need a new hobby.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

It never hurts to take a fawn or yearling for meat. Ive done it before...they are great eating and were supposed to hunt for the meat anyways.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA

[
Old 01-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

How many tags do you get ???? sheesssssssssss.
we get 1 buck, 1 doe. done for the year..

I heard of guys in VA taking 7 a day, because it's the honor system.

Where I live, you'd go to jail.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the blur
How many tags do you get ???? sheesssssssssss.
we get 1 buck, 1 doe. done for the year..

I heard of guys in VA taking 7 a day, because it's the honor system.

Where I live, you'd go to jail.
We get 3 or 4 tags a day. I know we can kill 3 doe but IDK if you can still fill a buck tag after killing 3 doe in one day. We get 3 buck tags over the season and can't kill more than 1 a day. Way too many tags for one season. Our season is really long also.