Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default What would you do?

Well this morning started off normal. I woke up, got ready and had my dad check the forecast for today(he had to go to work at 8 so he didn't hunt). It called for rain showers starting around 9:30 or 10:00. We both agreed that that might be good because from his experience the deer often move before it rains. Well I headed out and walked to my stand. I got in about 30 minutes before daylight like normal. Right at daylight I hear something making a ton of noise so I watched the hill it was coming from and here comes a huge body. I thought forsure it was 'ole big boy but I scoped it and it was just a big doe. Well she walks off and it starts to rain a bit. It was 40 degrees so I just sat in it becuase it wasn't cold enough to bother me. About 30 minutes later I hear dogs running around barking in my pasture. This kinda angered me because I've been seeing tons of dog tracks and my dad saw two dogs before he got in the stand one day. I heard another deer running behind me about 5 minutes after that. Then a couple minutes later here comes a bunch of barking dogs. Because of all the sign of dogs I had planned on shooting them if they came to me. I couldn't do it though. I got up and decided if I could get them to follow me to the house I'd get em in the truck and drop em off far away. Instead they took off running. So I said to hell with it, it should start raining soon and I went back towards the house. Then I see them chasing rabbits out of a big spot we left in the pasture for deer to bed up. They ran and hid... I was pissed at that point so I waited 5-6 minutes and they wouldn't come out. I decided just to come back home.

Well the main point of this is, my dad and I spend tons of money on hunting and work hard to put in our food plots. I'm probably not gonna be nice and let them go next time. I know they might be some little kid's dogs but it'll be a lesson learned.

I shoulda just shot the doe

Anyways... Would you have shot the dogs?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

No not if they are domestic dogs not wild. You would need to find the owners and wxplan the problem or call for a dog officer to take care of the situation
Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
No not if they are domestic dogs not wild. You would need to find the owners and wxplan the problem or call for a dog officer to take care of the situation
That is a good idea but I have no clue if they are just strays or pets. TBH they're probably strays because I live out in the middle of nowhere and people make a bad habbit of dropping their dogs on my land and my neighbors land, and they also had no collars. I really like dogs and would hate to shoot one but I also love deer hunting.

Last edited by Master Chief; 12-29-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe try trapping instead ? so you can determine if it is wild or not
Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

I think I'm just not even going to worry about it. The seasons almost over. They'll probably run off by next year. If they come next year I'll try trapping them. They really better hope they don't chase my uncles cows though lol because he can and will definately kill them.

Last edited by Master Chief; 12-29-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

If you're asking if I they might have been coyotes, no. Could I have shot them and said they I thought they were coyotes, probably. The first one looked like a German shepherd with something else mixed in and the other was just a little mutt dog.

EDIT: this was suppose to be a reply to someone who posted asking "could they have been mistaken for coyotes" but they deleted their post...

Last edited by Master Chief; 12-29-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Have a talk with the Sheriff in your county.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I definitely understand your frustration and you sound like a very ethical hunter as you did not just shoot right away. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Tough call,
is this private land? or public?
if these are domestic dogs, not sure of laws for running dogs ,
believe most places owners are supposed to be within a certain distance,
if these are wild dogs they would be open game like any other predator hunting,

if it was a 1 time thing i would let them go,
if its a recurring problem on private land i would take them out,
if its on public, i would do my best to determine wild or domestic,
if domestic and owners are legal would try to find them and work with them,
if owners are running dogs illegallly, would try even harder to let game wardens know of illegal dog running,
wouldnt take out owners illegal activities out on the dogs
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Terasec
Tough call,
is this private land? or public?
Private... I definately wouldn't do it on public land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.