Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Woods vs edges

Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default Woods vs edges

Thanks in advance for any replies as I am a newbie. I am somewhat a hunting beginner but I ived around and hunted around edges about 20 years ago. By edges, I mean the edges of corn or hay fields. The only deer I ever shot was in a hay field.

My question is this: I have a chance to buy some northern Wisconsin land cheap but it is heavily forested with a few trails cutout. It is in deep woods with no corn nearby. I have never had much luck hunting in the deep woods. I plan to walk the land in a few weeks to check for sign and tracks. In the meantime though, do you guys like hunting deer in woods?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both, it really depends upon the food supply, time of year etc...

Also...There are also edges or changes in cover in the woods, these are also good places to hunt...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have spent most of my time hunting edges. Mainly because I have never had access to huge farms to hunt with huge woods. I am planning to hunt more woods as I am hunting new land the last couple years. I like being able to see across huge fields because I feel you have a better chance of at least seeing deer. But on the flip side you have to stop and think on a day to day basis how many fields you drive by in your life and never see deer in them. Mostly during daylight hours the deer are in the woods and bedding areas.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

If there are oak woods the deer will be in the woods. If there is corn fields nearby the deer will go between both. If there is a marsh nearby the deer will seek it for shelter. If there are pines the deer love them during bad weather. This is our leased land. There are no bad places and all of us from the different types of surroundings have shot nice bucks.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Spike

I totally agree with "warbirdlover". Look for any and all of these when you walk the land and take notes of what you find as well as any signs of deer already in the area that you find.

You could also talk to neighbors in the area, if there are any, and ask them how the hunting is there.

Good luck with the land,
Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Spike

Well, if there is very little agriculture as a food source around in the area, then that's a good thing...you can put in a small food plot or two, and that would really draw them in. If the woods are fairly dense, then maybe they are using it as a sanctuary/bedding area. I hunt in rather dense woods myself in NC Wisconsin (wausau/merrill area). It's more work than sitting in a cozy box blind at the edge of a field, but there are many ways to hunt them. It's all about turning your weaknesses into strengths.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely hunt near a field, most of my hunting is done in heavy woods or thickets. I have never had the luxury of hunting large farms with low pressure. The deer around here don't go to fields during the daylight.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy hunting both woods and fields, deer are creatures of the edge. If you bought it clear food plots out, you have to opportunity to build them right. If its located in big woods area there is no telling how many deer will come if you plant them groceries to eat. Deep woods can be tough to hunt sometimes especially if there is a big mast crop, deer just dont have to move much to eat. Even with big mast crops deer will still come in to eat from food plots, maybe not as much as in times of masts failure, but they will come in.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I will say, the deer population in Northern Wisconsin has been just decimated, very very low numbers this year
Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

It depends on the land. You need to scout it out and see what is there. If there are oak trees then you have a food source.

A newer cutoff also provides feed for new deer as it grows out.

Also, look for areas that provide bedding. Deer tend to travel between feeding and bedding areas naturally. Hunt on a trail between them and you will see deer eventually.

I hunt in Douglas County and while the deer population is low, there are still deer to be seen and harvested. My camp of six took three bucks this year. A couple of nice 8 pointers and a spiker. Nothing trophy worthy this year, but then again, anything with horns you see that is 2 1/2 years old on public land is pretty much a gift during the gun deer season.

That's life hunting the great Northwoods on non-management public land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.