Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snow up to 12 inches

Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

Default Snow up to 12 inches

Hey all. Here in Southeastern VA. we got slammed with 12+ inches of snow. I'm thinking of going out to some land in Surry County so I can better learn the land for next season and get me one more deer to add to the two I got. I plan on finding out where the deer are bedding, and feeding by tracking in the snow. Or the best place to put a stand or a blind in area's the deer travel. Anyone else going out in the snow? It's not often we get snow here in VA. Any ideas will be helpful.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer movement gets more predictable in the deep snow. They tend to have a bedding/loafing area and a feeding area, and a trail in between. They don't wander around as much. It takes too much energy. I'll bet if you find them coming through a certain spot at a given time of day, you'll be able to set your watch by them coming through the same spot, same time, tomorrow.
Good luck, wear your lightest colored and quietest camo. Against snow it's easy to blob out against the background. And, snow sucks up sound. You'll notice the silence. The deer will notice any rustle that breaks it.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

If you are trying to stalk up on them at the same time and not just bust them out while scouting, take your time. THe snow is NOISY to walk in. If it warms up a bit it will be less noisy but your feet will make a lot more noise thana deers. Also, Expect a big surprise walking through 12"+of snow. It will zap the steam right out ot you quick! (Take plenty of water) I went last year in the 24" we got here and once I got to my closest stand I was so whipped that I did not even want to shoot at a deer. Stayed long enough to catch my breath, thought better of it and slugged on home. If you are planning on doing this on a atv, (I don't have one) that will be ok but you won't be able to cover the ground as effectively as on foot.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

just like you,
if snow is uncommon in the area,
it will change deer pattern for a short time,
may delay their movement by hours or even a day or so,
and take others advise for trekking in the snow,
6" or so is an easy walk,
12" will change your steps and soak your pants,
dont plan on traveling as far as your used to.
make sure boots are waterproof, and keep snow out the boot,
wet boots/pants makes it really uncomfortable to walk in,
comfy set can hike all day, wrong boots, can be miserable in an hr
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

It's always a good idea to get out and learn the lay of the land. However, it's important to note that deer behavior will be much different now--especially after a big snowstorm--than it would be in that same area during September through November. Feeding and bedding areas will likely change throughout the hunting season, but getting an idea of where the prime cover and other potential food sources are will give you a an advantage when you start scouting next year before the season opens. You'll have a better idea as to where to focus your scouting efforts, but things will look completely different with the understory on the ground as opposed to 12+" of snow. Wear some snowshoes if at all possible, it will make the travel through the snow incredibly easier. Also, a child's plastic sled makes a great deer drag this time of year, and if you don't have any luck hunting you can have some fun on it!

Good luck
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Spike

Snow is great, colder the better. If its warm the snow gets sticky making it noisy. If your hunting in deep snow say more than an foot and a half be careful the drag could kill you. I shot doe this year during muzzle right out of her bed. She never knew what hit her. snow is great just move slow and look around alot.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Spike

Default snow

Thanks for all the great advise. The roads were so bad I didn't go out accidents everywhere. I plan on trying to go Saturday. The land I will be hunting is new to me so I will be learning the land as I hunt it. I will be still hunting. My hunting buddy got a nice seven pointer, and saw a nice ten pointer on this property three weeks ago. I love hunting in the snow but it will wear you out. This will be the last weekend to hunt deer with shotgun in Virginia, season ends Jan. 03.