Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers >

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Do you support your local conservation officers using deer decoys to catch poachers?
Yes, I do.
92.36%
No, I do not.
7.64%
I am indifferent.
0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

I'm curious to learn what many of you think about the DNR's practice of using a deer decoy placed along roadways to catch road and spotlight poachers.

I personally think it's a great idea as long as it's done in such a way that is safe for everyone. By that I mean the decoys shouldn't be placed anywhere that might put a house or other people using a recreational area in the line of fire.

Some people claim this is a form of entrapment and that cases brought to court should be dismissed. I find that defense quite ludicrous, as the DNR officers aren't forcing the poachers to do anything they normally wouldn't, they're simply upping their chances of being around when such a violation takes place.

Others will try and claim that since they actually shot a decoy and not a live deer, they didn't actually poach any deer.

In the 90's there was a county-level judge here in WI in Forest County, Verich was his name I believe, that refused to prosecute cases that the DNR brought to court that involved the decoy, and in following years the number of poaching from roads increased dramatically.

I am totally in favor of the DNR using decoys to catch poachers, and then prosecuting them to the fullest extent of the law.

I had figured that most honest hunters would have shared my opinion, but in reading years and years of old (1990's) issues of D&DH magazine, I see that the opinions are pretty split. It will be interesting to see where the opinions are today.

If you have any first-hand experience or stories about these decoys, please feel free to share them.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

am all for it,
dont see how LEGAl hunters will be affected,
catching poachers in the act is extremely difficult,
game wardens cant be everywhere,
so as you said, it just increases their chances of catching poachers,
as for not being a crime to shoot a target,
that would be legal limbo,
but there are crimes associated with it, such as discharging firearm from vehicle, having loaded gun in vehicle,
also believe spot lighting with loaded gun is also illegal(may vary by state), as loaded gun shows intention to shoot.
so while actual poaching charge may bounce around the courts,
other charges will stick.
and for every 1 poacher caught, thats countless deer saved for LEGAL hunters to harvest.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kinda waterhead shoots a fake deer ?

If a guy is stupid enough to shoot a fake deer what else is this mental giant capable of ?

I support the DOW and I think the perps should have to eat the fake tenderloins and ground up styrofoam.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
bigcountry

I am all for it. It only helps hunters.

Anytime I see a big article in the paper, showing a poaching ring, it just hurts our image.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I know man, some people think of hunters as dumb rednecks shooting everywhere at everything that moves.Most of us aren't like that.That is why I am for it.It saves our animals too.But overall it does make a funny video to put on youtube.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

noticed 2 people voted against it,
do hope they post, as am curious to hear their side of it,
not to bash them(yet),
but to hear their reasoning for being against it.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Terasec
noticed 2 people voted against it,
do hope they post, as am curious to hear their side of it,
not to bash them(yet),
but to hear their reasoning for being against it.
If I was a betting man, these are the folks that would have taken the pop shot and been wrote out a ticket.

I doubt your going to hear from em.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The hunter can say he did't shoot a real deer. But, I think it's illegal to shoot a decoy on someone's property from your vehicle as well.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around someone being so desperate to shoot "somethin" that a fake deer is even on the list of possibles. Nobody I hunt with is........

Kinda reminds me of the comic skit that Jeff FoxWorthy does about deer hunting and him and his buds shootin a hot water heater next to his house.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by skb2706
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around someone being so desperate to shoot "somethin" that a fake deer is even on the list of possibles. Nobody I hunt with is........

Kinda reminds me of the comic skit that Jeff FoxWorthy does about deer hunting and him and his buds shootin a hot water heater next to his house.

Have you not seen the decoy they use? They generally look extremely real. They use real hide and real taxidermy work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.