Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good Low Light Scope?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 AM
Spike

Default Good Low Light Scope?

Hello folks,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality low light scope that wont cost a fortune for a Thompson Center Omega Muzzle loader. Hunting a thicket with plenty of legal shooting time left, but current scope just not cutting it.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

You've GOT to look at Mueller's. Absolutely the best bang for the buck.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/
Attached Thumbnails Good Low Light Scope?-gun2a.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am pretty fond of Leupold VXIII's. They gather great light at dusk and dawn.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Sightron line.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

I'm very happy with my Nikon Omega scope on my TC Bone Collector in low light hunting conditions.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Spike

Swift, my brand of choice
Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

One day when I grow up I hope to be able to afford the good Nikon and Leo brands but for now, My CVA Wolf has a Simmons 3-9 X 50mm riding on it that cost me less than $50. I've had it for about 5 years now and it holds zero and lets in so much light you really have to watch the clock! With a little moonlight, you can shoot that scope all night long. In fact, I use it to glass the feild before I call it a evening just to see what is out there way past were I can see with just my eyes.

A good rule of thumb is the bigger the objective bell, the more light transmition you'll get.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I am pretty fond of Leupold VXIII's. They gather great light at dusk and dawn.
Scopes don't gather light, they transmit it. Also, larger objective lens do not necessarily mean more light transmission. Try to get good / great glass and coatings. That's where it's at. I'd be checking the Sightron line myself. I just put their SII 4X32 on a slug gun...it's very compact, light and has great ER. They had a rebate for $50 (ends today I think) so the scope was about $135. Good deal. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best Leupolds Nikons Zeiss Swarovski,Schmidt and Bender
use the best lens coatin, and have set the standards for image quality and brightness as well as performance. Even though the performance and image quality have improved with lower end optics and narrowed the gap somewhat, don't think it will last forever. To improve your odds of it lasting try these ideas..First off if a low cost scope is what you want, don't go with big large objective, high power, heavy scope Stiff recoil can cause a heavy scope to slip in it's rings, and sheer off screws.Don't compensate on this. Larger objective lenses may give you a bigger exit pupil and higher resolution, with all else equal it very seldom is.With what ever you choose to go with, either go with a better quality fixed 4 or 6 power on a 36 or 40mm objective or a variable in a 1.5 - 6 40mm. If you need a greater power than 6 with a 40mm objective lens on a muzzle loader, check your watch.. It's probably too late to shoot.But yeah I choose a scope that is reliable under heavy recoil and go with a low magnification, that is lighter but still gives you a good eye relief.A fixed power scope may be best for this condition that you may want to look at.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Good quality, low light" scope. My first question is, what is your budget? Less than $300 I would look for a Bushnell Elite 4200, a little more money look for a Zeiss Conquest for about $400. Good glass and good coatings on both. A Nikon Monarch is a good quality scope also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.