Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found a Deer Dog

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

My dad found a number on the inside of the Collar when he took it off. He called the Guy. He was running deer a week and a half ago. He lost 3. Went home, Came back the next morning to retrieve them and he couldn't find this one. My Dad said well he's at my house if you can come get him. He then asked if we wanted him. My dad said yes, we will keep him if you don't want your dog back. He said well, you got yourrself a dog! So I guess were in the clear
Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

There are several reasons he probably offered the dog up. It may not be a good deer dog, in which case it's no use to him. Or he could be worried you're going to attempt to have him fined if you know who he is. In SC the dog has to have a contact name and number in an easily seen spot on the collar, if it doesn't then you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to claim it and take the DNR fine.

If it seems to have no interest in deer then try to train it to track or turn it into a rabbit dog. Either way, if you intend to do anything in the woods with it make sure you put a tracking collar on it otherwise you'll probably be out looking for it at some point yourself.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

For sure a blue tick beagle pup. I have some that look just like it but that one is not mine. But I would take it. LOL
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet you could train it to track hunters with jerky in their packs. Id'a kept it too.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scarredup300
Thats a blue tic beagle pup n yes it will trail and run whatever its trained too. Looks like a young dog id guess less than a year and a half old. Good looking pup. As slick and shiny as the coat looks its been taken pretty good care of.
Yep, I agree and with the long ears and markings, I'd say it's full blooded and someone has some money tied up in it. I'd watch the local papers for a notice of a missing dog or put out a notice of my own. It sounds like the dog has already found a new home if his previous one can't be found.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I've been feeding my lab a ton of deer meat, legs with hide on 'em and even pouring some of the blood dripping's onto his food. Took him into the woods the other day and off he went. He found one carcass and a total of four areas where deer were shot or dressed. He's even started to "rub" his head on the bush's around the house. So his nose in in tuned with deer.