Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Spike

As a school teacher who takes his vacation days during the school year to hunt I would say yes, take the kid hunting with you. I agree that life is short and the moments that we have to spend afield with family and friends are too few. He will remember the experience for the rest of his life. I cherish every opportunity that I have to hunt with my father as a 31 year old adult! I also agree that not every lesson learned is in a classroom. There is a plethora of things to learn while out hunting or fishing. Finally, being a teacher, I value education. I would make a deal with him that if he were caught up on all of his work BEFORE you left that he could go along. I would have each teacher sign off on his assignments. If he holds up his end, then he has learned the responsibility that you are rightly concerned with and has earned the privilege of going on the hunting trip. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Folks,
Just a little eye opener..the text books are simply one of many resources these days. Today, each county sets up thier own curriculum on the computer ..which is set up to help us pass the state wide test. Most classrooms have Smart Boards { A giant computer screen } in front of the classroom. The resources we use today are incredible. If I want to discuss the White -tailed deer, I can have deer grazing in my classroom live on a 5' x 7 ' screen. The pressure that you are all hearing about is not how our regular education students are doing; it's the special ed. kids. They are expected to make the same scores as regular ed kids. This is quite a challenge.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Folks,
Just a little eye opener..the text books are simply one of many resources these days. Today, each county sets up thier own curriculum on the computer ..which is set up to help us pass the state wide test. Most classrooms have Smart Boards { A giant computer screen } in front of the classroom. The resources we use today are incredible. If I want to discuss the White -tailed deer, I can have deer grazing in my classroom live on a 5' x 7 ' screen. The pressure that you are all hearing about is not how our regular education students are doing; it's the special ed. kids. They are expected to make the same scores as regular ed kids. This is quite a challenge.
Well put. That is exactly how it is, and the smart board is funny, I was teaching with mine less than an hour ago
Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a father truly needs to wonder if allowing his son to skip a couple days of school to go hunting (with his father) will set a precedent for irresponsible behavior in the son's future, then there are problems in the kid's upbringing that have nothing to do with hunting.

If I ever caught myself beginning to ponder this notion, I'd slap myself before I could finish the thought. I recommend the same treatment for others though it seems too late for some.

I had daughters that had no interest in hunting. If I have a grandchild that wants to hunt, you can bet I'll take that kid out of school on opening day. If any son-in-law tries to give me an BS about setting a bad precedent, I'll set him straight then and there.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I had daughters that had no interest in hunting. If I have a grandchild that wants to hunt, you can bet I'll take that kid out of school on opening day. If any son-in-law tries to give me an BS about setting a bad precedent, I'll set him straight then and there.
Interesting. So how would you set him straight? I know if my father in law tried to set me straight it would be a cold day in you know where.

so, lets pretend, I am your son in law. What would you do?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby

how often do you skip work to take your daughter to do something girly?
like to go to a dance recital? ballet class?
are you home for supper on time everynight?
opening season is 1 day a year, takes 365 days to be a dad.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting season comes and goes to fast.when my kids were school age as long as there grades were decent and it sounds to me like your kids grades are I let them go.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Spike

He was asking if yall let your kids miss school to hunt. He didnt say lets talk about how great or bad of a father he is.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM
bigcountry

Folks since we have a nice quorum here, figured it might be good to rephrase this question.

I have a feeling the original poster got his required fill from opinions.

So what about it the son wanted to go ice skating with his father? Or snow ski? Or go see a concert? Maybe even attend an art gallery with his father. List of activities could be endless. Or is hunting the only place you would let him skip?

Sounds like a good question. So would these all "out of classrooms, life lessons" justify skipping if the student kept up his homework? How much would a student have to be caught up? Straight A's? A few B's and C's?

Last edited by bigcountry; 12-17-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Wink

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Folks since we have a nice quorum here, figured it might be good to rephrase this question.

I have a feeling the original poster got his required fill from opinions.

So what about it the son wanted to go ice skating with his father? Or snow ski? Or go see a concert? Maybe even attend an art gallery with his father. List of activities could be endless. Or is hunting the only place you would let him skip?

Sounds like a good question. So would these all "out of classrooms, life lessons" justify skipping if the student kept up his homework? How much would a student have to be caught up? Straight A's? A few B's and C's?
You sure seem worked up about this. Tell ya what, I'll raise my children as I see fit and you do the same. If people decide to pull their kids from school it's their business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.