Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where are the buck?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default Where are the buck?

i always see 4 deer in my backyard and three are does and one is a baby. so where are the bucks? and when is the rut? i live in illinois
Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Im hoping your joking about the rut?.....
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mission17
Im hoping your joking about the rut?.....
no im not but thanks for making me feel good i just started hunting this year??
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

The rut is gone in the midwest... You may catch some last minute estrusing (even a word?) does, which is common in the "post-rut" midwest, but good luck with that. The bucks around here are slowly starting to get back into their groups, mostly the younger ones, with the mature deer still waiting to feed at night and hang out by themselves.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
The rut is gone in the midwest... You may catch some last minute estrusing (even a word?) does, which is common in the "post-rut" midwest, but good luck with that. The bucks around here are slowly starting to get back into their groups, mostly the younger ones, with the mature deer still waiting to feed at night and hang out by themselves.
Alright thanks when is the rut though???
Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The primary rut is usually early to mid November when the doe come in to estrus. Doe that do not get bred on their first cycle will come back in to estrus 28 days later. When the deer herd has a good buck to doe ratio most doe get bred during the primary rut.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Spike

Generally, it is desirable to have both a folding saw and a nice sharp knife in a survival situation to build your emergency shelter. If you were limited in space and could only have one - I reommend the Gerber Gator Serator. This is a knife I had taken to one survival class and it worked OK for cutting small limbs to make a shelter. With a modest amount of polishing it can be easily made into a fast acting near gravity knife. The blade is perfect for skinning animals and the seratted part is extremely agressive - more so than any other knife I have seen. I have always wanted to drop one of mine off with a knifesmith and have them install a gut hook - thanks for the question - it has reminded me to do this!!!
get twitter followers
Cheap Flights
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

To find the bucks you gotta look for signs of them. What normally helps with this is doing some scouting such as putting game cameras out by a food source or on a deer trail. The rut here where I live in Southwest Minnesota is usually towards the end of October and through most of November. You can always tell that its the rut cause this is when your going to see bucks looking for does and if your seeing does in your backyard that means there are more than likely going to be bucks around during the rut to breed those does.

I would watch the does year around and find out where they are bedding and more importantly where their food source is. If you know where these does are at when the rut rolls around your probably gonna have a good chance of seeing some dominant bucks in the area.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Spike

first 2 weeks of NOV in IL generally...figure it to peak somewhere around Nov7th give or take...?

the 2nd rut which is generally much less activity is 28 days later...