Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)? >

how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Honestly..for me ..fear is a good thing..it's kept me alive 56 years..

I have never heard of or seen the device you speak of sir ..but I don't plan to get a ladder stand.I do all my hunting on public land and like it that I can take my climber in and out..
Old 12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Relax Francis. (psycho from stripes)

Apparently god forgot to give you a sense of humor.

Apparently you never razz your buddies.

This site is for fun and education, not to yell at others joking around.

Originally Posted by M92
Mods, Im sorry, but Im gonna get some complaints.

People are scared of what they are scared of. Poking fun at them isnt going to help em any. Doing so not only makes you look like an *******, but it also makes you look ignorant. Please shut the hell up.

Something like 90% of the U.S. population is afraid of heights. Most don't know they are, even more wont admit they are. Being nervous at heights is completely natural. It is something we learned through years of evolution (or if you don't believe in it, God made us scare of them to keep us from doing stupid **** and getting killed). The only thing those of us that don't have that fear can do to help is to educate them how to do it safely. Being an an ass (like you just were) does not help anyone.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

climb up the ladder lol now i will go back and read your post
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

i guess i climb up the wrong way there is only 2 stands that we have that i use a pull up rope for my bow. one stand there is no ladder just branches that you have to climb up to the lock on thats about 25 feet up that sits in the v of the tree. and another one is where you have to climb a ladder to the top about 15 foot then climb the tree to the other ladder then climb a few branches to another ladder to get to the stand. that sits just over 30 feet off the ground only time your connected to the tree is when you get up to the stand and connect yourself to the tree. but every other stand i hold my bow with one hand climb up the ladder stand get to the top step lay my bow on the seat get my bow holder out hook that up to the seat put my bow on it then swing my pack around get my safety strap and all my other stuff out then put my pack on my bow holder then sit down and enjoy the hunt.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
lol 8" i cant find anything like that anywhere i wanna hang a stand
The trunk of the tree above where you are going to set your tree is larger than 8 inches.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I find the biggest rock, or a downed tree that I sit on.
problem solved.

I used to be a roofer, but out in the woods, all alone, climbing a ladder, big clumsy boots on, with a back pack.
errrrrrrr, not for me anymore.

and who can sit still with a 50 yo back. I have to move around and stretch every so often.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Spike

I used to have this fear on some of the smaller platformed ladder stands. I bought a Fall Guy 20' retractor that can be used for connection when climbing up and down.

I also used to never use the rather small rope that was shown to connect to the top of the ladder, criss-cross and wrap around the tree, down too the bottom of the ladder. I always thought WTF would that ever do to prevent anything. Well, now I know. It's for that precarious moment when you first place the stand and later take it down. When you have to climb the ladder and attach the ratchet around the tree. I learned this year, that without that extra rope for protection, you can have the top rung lean back on you.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Spike

You just gotta get use getting up there and finding what the best way of gettin set up is. I panacked when i was 13. I got up but forgot how to get down. My dad gave me some constrictive critsism and i was fine after that. Just make sure the stand is safe and use a harness if you must.