Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Took my son hunting

Old 12-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default Took my son hunting

Took my son on his first hunting excursion today. He is 6. He got up bright eyed and bushy tailed. To make a long story short. We are in my double ladder stand. He is napping while I am watching two does feed at first light. Out of the thicket comes a nice 8 point. Well I ready my gun. Click off the safety and all of a sudden I hear DADDY, DADDY LOOK. The sound of the safety and my movement woke him up. Well needless to say as soon as he exclamated DADDY all three deer took off running. My son then says to me Daddy did you see that buck. Why didnt you shoot him? LOL Oh well. It was nice to share some quality time with my son. Breakfast at IHOP wasnt bad either!!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

thats awsome. my son is 2 and i cant wait to get him out there.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

Great to hear you did not get frustrated with him! Hunting is ment to be something to enjoy which seems to be what you understand. Happy hunting.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

so you were going to wake him with a gun shot???
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 125py
so you were going to wake him with a gun shot???
LOL.....thats what I was thinking....what a wake up call!!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Good on ya for taking him out and remaining patient. I've found that a 'briefing' (what to expect, what to do and when, what not to do, etc.) helps with such matters. It can be given both beforehand and again when you get to the field.

When my son was old enough to take (as the hunter; I took him a few times prior as the 'observer'), I told him all the normal things, then got to thinking 'what will be the hardest part for him?' I decided it would be range estimation, so I told him as we went in one afternoon that if a deer came, I would put my hand on him until it got within range. Once it was in range, I would take my hand off and then he had to wait for a shot. It worked real well, as he harvested his first deer that very day.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Spike

Yes I was going to wake him with a shot. LOL now that I think about it that would have been a rude awakening. He had fallen asleep watching the does and I had gotten excited when the buck walked out. I know I know BAD DAD. We did have a little pre talk before we went to the stand. We talked about the basics. Be carefull, climb slowly, stay seated and TRY your best to be quite and last but not least do not remove the harness. I had to trim one down to size for him and tied him to me. I will have to admit I was a little upset but I never let him see it. I want him to enjoy hunting as much as I do.