Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Poachers and having to protect mature bucks >

Poachers and having to protect mature bucks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poachers and having to protect mature bucks

Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Spike

Default Poachers and having to protect mature bucks

I live in an area that is getting more and more devoloped every year. Of corse with it being devoloped comes more people and in return more hunters. My father owns a nice track across some incrediable deer habitat and ever since I shot my first deer 9 years ago he has been fighting to protect that land from getting over run with poachers. So much to the fact that he gave up hunting..I would go hunt, and he would go kick out the numerous amount of disrespectful hunters. It gets bad because there are roads all around the property and when a booner runs infront of thier truck it taps into thier minds that they need to sneak in and go after it. Last year I didnt shoot a single deer of the property in hopes that even if a poacher got one there would still be another nice one for me this year. I was lucky to get what I wanted as I filled my tag in one week with two great bucks. The problem is that now my father has reached the age where he doesnt go chasing after guys in the woods with guns. So after my filled tag I often went out and just watched over the place simply for my love in being in the woods. A few hunters did come in but after talking to them, most of them were quick to appologize and leave. Then I left for another state to visit family during the last part of the rut for thanksgiving. All I could think about was if someone was sneaking into my property and finding their sights on the two bucks im trying to protect till next season. I got back two weeks later and checked my property to find the tell tale signs that some people indeed were sneaking in...A lot were walking to spots that made me believe they could have been shooting towards my nabourhood with a high powered rifle..I never did see the two bucks again but they were very smart animals so im praying they just dissapeared at the end of the rut. Still has this what it has come to this days? Its a headache to have to protect something that can be takin away from you expecialy when you have put in 4 or 5 years into letting the animal get fully mature. In my oppionon its harder these days to protect a mature animal then to hunt a mature animal.

*Also my property in surounded by no hunting/tresspasing signs. We do enforce some of the problems with a conservation officer.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zero tolerance with everyone you catch - no warnings ever.
Prosecute to the fullest extent you can.
Word will get around
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

talk with them? i dont think so...call the cops, then the game warden, cops will usually show before the dnr...that will hold em up a minute...i would stay hidden too. if they know your there, they'll leave. after a few stiff sitations, if not a trip to jail, the word will get around....just like right now, the guys you "talked" to, are tellin all their friends..."he will just ask ya ta leave if he catches ya"....and i bet its sounding real good to some of them...birds of a feather
Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Spike

I have many other places to hunt luckily but I will take your guys advice an really put forth the effort to get my point across. Besides I have three cops in the family