Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Protein Feed

Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default Protein Feed

Hi all,
New to the forum. Looking to find some protein feed for the offseason but I really don't want to buy it in 50 pound bags. Trying to find somewhere to buy it in bulk (a ton or so). Any ideas on wholesaler or companies that might offer this? I'm located in the WV/Ohio area. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about finding the particular brand you are looking for, getting the ingredient list and buying each individual one in 50 lb bags? We do that and end up with about 900 lbs after it is all mixed in together... Much cheaper too...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need to check and see if any of the local milling companies blend a deer feed. I just helped a guy get set up with Harrell Milling Company in Hartford, Al to supply feed for his new deer pen. Honestly for a wild herd you would be money ahead to plant plots and fertilize natural food sources for the deer. Most of the wild forage a deer uses is 16% or higher and that is all a deer can digest. I wouldn't doubt if over 50% of feed in a feeder is consumed by squirrels, coons, possums, birds and other critters as well as being wasted on the ground.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Spike

Hey thanks for the post. We've tried food plots and actually had pretty good success with them. Unfortunately, our land doesn't offer more than 3 or 4 acres of area in which to plant so we figured this offseason we would try and increase the supplemental feeding to see if we could notice any results.