Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Base Camp Ideas

Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Daveboone
The toughest part of what you want to do will be wanting to go the 2nd time. Being constantly outside that time of year burns major calories. Making hot meals at least a couple times a day becomes neccessary, not a luxury. I dont think any tent fuel powered heaters are used anymore in tents due to the flame/ carbon monoxide threat.
Be sure to pick a tent made for winter use, or 4 season use to hold up to seasonal winds and snow acccumulation. Put foam mattresses down on the ground for insulation. they will make a very big difference. Be sure to totally change into fresh dry clothes at the end of each day.Eat high carb, high energy meals and alot of snacks to keep the furnace burning. I certainly can relate to the cash limitations, but perhaps for yourself down the road, a beater pick up with a cap would be a good alternative. I have spent many a deer season night in my pickup. I put down plywood and the foam for insulation, and can usuallly be quite comfortable. Good luck.
Another great idea! Thanks. I've been thinking of getting a beater pick up... between the lousy feul economy and prices of new/new used pick ups, that might be the way to go at some point.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rab123
i just got back from a week of camping/hunting.ive got a tent that is very similar to cabelas alaskan guide tent.my tent is hexagon 10x13.i heated it with the smaller buddy heater.got about 90 hrs of use from a 20lb propane bottle.didnt have any condensation at all.but my tent is essentialy a double walled tent with the full coverage fly.im going to add a small battery powered fan to distribute the heat better.2 things to consider,if you go by yourself,get a tent you can easily put up alone.mine is doable,but a pain.get a tent larger than you think you need.on days when its too cold to sit around or cook,and your confined to the tent you will be glad you got a larger one.if you will have electric,by all means use electric appliances.some guys in a huge brand new pop up camped by me.they had a furnace in it and a small honda generator(very quiet)to power the lights and furnace blower fan.i cant say i wasnt envious.
Again, great advice. When you got your 90 hours of heat from your buddy heater, what was the temperature like? Maybe it's because I don't have the money for one, but I wouldn't be envious of the Honda generator and all the trimmings. It's camping, right? Aren't we supposed to rough it a little? At best, I compare it to the experience of a civil war base camp (canvass tent...rug on the ground, fire outside). Okay, I admit, I'm really loving the idea of a heat source in the tent!!! Even though I have a quality -15 degree sleeping bag, I don't want to be confined to it!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WIbackwoodsU61
I would say use a normal tent and your sleeping bag and get a heater. My friend and I have roughed it like that before but out of the back of a Tahoe. It worked out alright we were comfortable. Rough it until you can afford something better. Good luck and stay warm.
Yeah, I'm thinking of just barrowing my buddies until I can afford one. Just got to find a propper heat source!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to do this during cold weather and enjoy your hunting trip, look for a small, used camper like a teardrop. With just having a lite car you're really limiting yourself. My bias is: that every guy should own a pickup truck, especially if you're interested in hunting and camping.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Spike

the night temps were mid teens to about 30.the highs were low 30s to low 40s.if you are camping much colder than that,get the big buddy heater.it runs at 18000 btu on high and has a fan that can use d batteries.the batteries are expensive to bring a weeks worth,but i think it would be worth it.i had some cold spots in my tent and am researching battery powered fans to distribute the heat better.i also had a 10x10 easy-up canopy with side walls that i used to cook in,but on the colder days,it was too cold for me to sit around in.the side walls block some of the wind,but not all of it.i used a 17x17 square of ceramic tile flooring that i bought at lowes to set the heater on.something else i will get is a small cheapie throw rug to put on the tent floor.the idea of a wood burning stove doesnt sound bad,but ive never seen a tent with one in it myself.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I don't camp when I hunt caus I hunt near home, but when I go fishing sometimes I just sleep in the back of my SUV with the seats folded down flat. If you go looking for a beater truck, you may consider an SUV. My wife and I can both comfortably sleep in the Mountaineer, and use a fan in warm weather, or an electric blanket or heater if it's cold. Just plug into your campsite electric or small generator outside.
They hold a ton of gear and you can load a ton more on the roof. And the cold metal bed is already covered in sound dampening insulation and carpet, so it's warm enough to sleep on already. Also I spent about $25. on a roll of nylon screen and magnets and made screens that fit over my windows for summer camping. It's so comfortable for me that I just use the tent for gear storage most of the time. Deer can be quartered and packed on the roof or carried on a hitch haul rack. Or in a cooler or tote in the back.