Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need advice on stand location

Old 12-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Spike

Default need advice on stand location

Im still new to hunting and would like some opinions on late deer hunting this property. I know that the later the season get the more u should hunt food areas but there really is no food areas just bedding. I have hunted the area as much as I can "got a late start" and have gotten one deer so far. I have outlined the property in blue and the yellow is where I have been putting up my stand. The property is all fenced in except for the far back corner next to the field. Any help would be appreciated.

if u would like a picture closer I will post just let me know
Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

I'd go a little deeper where the 2 fiels have the woods inbetween
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Can't really see where the thick stuff/potential bedding areas are. Just by looking at the overhead view, I would try to get a little deeper and a little closer to those two inside corners. Looks like a good transition area. Are there any areas where two to three significant terrain features come together? Which direction does the prevailing wind blow? Wind is a significant factor in determining the approach to a stand. I'm sure you know that though. Can you get in through the property from different directions?? It's always good to change things up. I'd have at least three to four stands in that parcel, spread out, of course.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

definitely get to that narrow spot that will funnel all the deer between the fields/forests
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

the wind comes from the field side most of the time. Theirs really only one way is and that's at the front of the property cause it is all fenced in. It is mainly a flat area no real hills or creek or anything like that. The part i was talking about a bedding are i was talking about was the area close to the road cause every morining I have been out there no matter how early i get there i can hear something running thro the grass and thick little trees that are there.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Spike

Default I agree

Without actually walking around the property, I agree with most of what was said above -- see if you can find a spot that overlooks that narrow bottleneck of trees between the two plowed fields. That is a likely crossing point from animals moving through the area, though you will need to confirm it by walking through and looking for sign. It's also the place that is most inslulated from the roads, houses, etc., which make is a likely place for animals to use.

Notice, too, the narrow strip of grass just below the house? That is essentially a third "field" with yet another corner near that narrow bottleneck of trees.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

How high is this fence you speak of?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I hear ya about only one way in. I have that problem too. If your neighbors are cool, I would consider entering your stand(s) in various directions, while keeping the wind in your face and minimizing your foot print (human scent) through the majority of the woods. I have been hunting for years and I am just starting to realize just how significant wind is. If the wind isn't right, don't role the dice and see what happens you'll only educate them more. Save the stand for the right wind. Wind plays ALOT bigger role than what alot of hunters think it does. Now, I get super excited when the wind is right for a stand that I haven't hunted in a while. There's nothing saying you can't climb the fence, if it's not too high to climb with your weapon of choice. There are some good strategies that can be used in this piece, that is, if your neighbors are cool.

VA
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Spike

the fence is about 5-6 foot high. It is the kind that has the big square hold and barb wire along the top. ya i will have to see if i can talk to the and let me enter thro there pasture cause the way the wind is blowing most of the time that would be down wind. thanks for all the helpful information. Hoping to get one more this year