Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you feel the recoil ?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I was on a massive anti-recoil kick before the season.
Brought a .243 bolt action. acceptable recoil

Then I brought a 7mm-08 BAR, figuring the semi auto would negate some of the recoil. WRONG. so now I'm playing with the managed recoil ammo. We'll see what happens. although it's not too bad with full strength ammo.

the .30-06 sits in the safe.

I do carry ear plugs in the field.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went to the range last weekend with a friend, 25 years ago we both bought Rem. Model 78 in 30.06. I sold my gun years ago because I wasn't doing any gun hunting at the time, bowhunting only. Anyway i took a couple of shots with his rifle using 180gr. winchesters, I noticed the recoil !!!!!!! When I did shoot that gun on a regular bases it didn't seem as bad. I'm now shooting a Rem 700 in .243 that is very comfortable to shoot. I really don't miss the 30.06.

You could go on Chuck Hawks recoil table and compare the difference in calibers.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Spike

I kinda "trained" myself at the range to not let the recoil bother me during a shot, though...even during the heat of summer, I'll wear a flanel shirt with a towel folded up inside (just pull the trigger and let it pound me). That taught me to not flinch from the anticipation of a 300 or 7mm mag recoil.
So, "on the stand" I never notice the recoil at all...allthough a few scope scars on my nose and eyebrow from awkward holds make me remember it soon enough!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I don't notice recoil when I shoot at animals.I have not shot a caliber that will separate my shoulder on the first shot, shooting it either.I have a .311 Canadian Imperial mag which is pretty equivalent to the recoil the 300 Ultras,Lazz produce. It's a 404 Jeffrey necked to a .311 cal bullet.But I do notice felt recoil more after practicing for an overly extended period at the range.I can certainly see the bruise the next day and my shoulder is quite stiff but it is what it is. Its practice,if you want good results in the field, you need to do it. But in the field I would never use something that would "separate my shoulder" on the first shot it's just not worth it to me.
So I choose calibers I know I can tolerate and I am actually able to hunt with them. I'm not gonna go buying calibers like the .577 Tyrannosaur for elephants.It just isn't worth it. I know I'd be putting bullets all over the place and I'd get gun shy quickly with that cal.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

There's alot of reduced recoil ammo now, and fancy soft recoil pads.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

This is what's so nice about the .270 and the 30-30, mild recoil and they both knock deer down with ease, assuming a decent hit.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

yeah man, i agree. i hunt with a 45-70 govt. and it's a really light gun. it kicks the hell out of me when i shoot targets, but not when i shoot deer.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

In years past i use to shoot a lot of guns and to be honest the hardest kicking was always 12 slugs .Short of auto loaders I think a 12 gauge has more recoil than most center fire rifles up to the 375 h and h.Let me specify .... solid 12 gauge slugs .. one ounce or better not sabots.I can be honest and say I have shot an 870 till i hurt trying to sight a gun in for a bud that was flinching all over .Damn scope mounts were loose . Worst recoil i ever felt was an H&R topper 12 with slugs .I have shot a 10 gauge with slugs that was no picnic .Never have i ever felt recoil on a hunting shot.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

By far the worst I've been rocked is by my little synthetic 20" Mossy 535 with 3 1/2" turkey loads. You'd think with a punch like that you were trying to kill a water buffalo, not a stupid bird

rw
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Spike

I think for me the hardest I've been kicked at the range was by a 12 ga. (1187) shooting 3" Winchester partition Golds! They will defiantly knock the cob webs out! In the field no where as much, but I bet if you had to unload more than one round such as a follow up shot I bet you'd start to feel the kick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.