Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disrespectful Hunters!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by _DANNY_
i laugh when i read some of these posts. i think some of you need to grow a back bone. dont take stuff like this as a personal attack. people are so darn sensitive. you hunt public land you will see people.
True. But there is a difference between seeing people and seeing the next incarnation of a "Woodstock" rock concert!!!

I won't deer hunt the nearby public land areas anymore. It's too insane. I read a story once where a guy heard or felt a bullet whizz by his head on public land here in Virginia. When he ran towards the sound to confront the person, it was a father/son duo and the son took a "sound shot" because he heard something in the woods!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BillBrasky
That will depend on what your local game warden considers "hunting from a vehicle." Just to be safe (from disturbing the deer and the law) I try to park where there is no way that it looks like I decided to pull over and hunt right there.
There is not a game warden, or as we call em here, a DEC officer on earth who could accuse you of hunting from your vehicle if youre not actually sitting in it. as long as you are hunting on land designated for hunting, it doesnt matter if youre sitting 50 yds or 50 miles from your car. why would somebody hike a mile into the woods if there are more deer closer to the road?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Couple things Ive learned about deer hunting on public land.

1st, sleep late and drive around at 1st light and see where guys ARENT parking, thats where you wanna go if you dont wanna bump or get bumped, I dont worry much about getting in early these days cause I almost never see deer at 1st light, its always an hour or 2 after 1st light, heck I see as many deer mid day as I do early.

2nd, other hunters get the deer up and moving, I love the guys who walk back to the truck in squads with their rifles slung over their shoulders, as if theyre convinced no deer could possible be hiding in the woods they picked to sit in that day, alot of times deer are bedded close by and those guys kick them right to me, I love it

You dont have to hike a mile or even more than a few hundered yrds from your car to find deer, in fact I find deer like hanging out closer than farther to the road, its the hunters that seem to like treking deep in the woods.
In recent years my experiences have borne this out 100% much to my chagrin-I've hunted alot of back there spots which feel "deer-y" to me ,only to see them feeding comfortably on front lawns on my way home. I'm convinced deer , at least in my rural area, prefer the company of people!

I was lucky enough to start finding private land to hunt after several years of public only. These past few years, I can't tell the difference anymore.

Frankly, I've bowed out of rifle season of late in favor of bow & muzzy; I refuse to compete for turf w/ guys when none of our names are on the deed
I've heard there are fewer guys hunting now, but you can't prove it by me. What concerns me is where we may be headed: either hunt public or pay-to-play (lease) private. Honestly, many land owners here may need that cash to pay their property taxes.

One issue in my locale, and I'm sure in many others, is that the Family farm was sold and sub-divided with most owners posting every tree on their boundary. Unless you can string a few of these 5-10 acre parcels together, it just doesn't seem worthwhile,IMO.

I recently became aware that in my brief 40-something years, the world's population has doubled. That changes things.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 11-30-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
True. But there is a difference between seeing people and seeing the next incarnation of a "Woodstock" rock concert!!!

I won't deer hunt the nearby public land areas anymore. It's too insane. I read a story once where a guy heard or felt a bullet whizz by his head on public land here in Virginia. When he ran towards the sound to confront the person, it was a father/son duo and the son took a "sound shot" because he heard something in the woods!
Butch, you gotta tell me about those places you are going out west.

This year on the days that I slip away during the week, I don't see anyone. Weekends are definitely busy.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Soon as it gets colder the weekend warrior hunters will thin out.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know who or what you're referring to but I hunt public land and know at some point or another I'm going to run into another hunter or another hunter is going to walk into my area. What pisses me off is those hunters out there who want to get pissed off because another hunter has walked into their area.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
Soon as it gets colder the weekend warrior hunters will thin out.
This!

I'm hoping that for our approaching muzzleloader season that the temps are below 30 degrees. That seems to keep a lot of guys indoors and the woods around me will be quieter.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dpv
Butch, you gotta tell me about those places you are going out west.
George Washington Nat'l Forest

Last edited by ButchA; 12-02-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
What pisses me off is those hunters out there who want to get pissed off because another hunter has walked into their area.
You do see the irony here don't you?

You pissed off, they pissed off. You wouldn't be pissed if he didn't get pissed, vise versa.

This is rather comical.

Your aggravated because he is aggravated at you getting up late and stomping in the woods at first light. I am just sayin.

Get your butt out of bed earlier. Problem solved. All would been settled before daylight.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

depending on your set up and access route it can be preferable to wait to first light and "hunt" your way to the stand. I have some spots that going in the dark and bumping deer ends the hunt. If I can glass the area and slip in undetected I have far more success. Just saying it's not always about "sleeping in". I prefer to be in the stand as light rises and will walk a couple miles to access a stand I could get to in a few hundred yards if I just went straight thru the bush. That is the preference but sometimes waiting is better for morning hunts.

I hunt public land up here but i guess ours is more vast and we all pay attention to acitivity in the various areas. The real problem with your scenario would be the placement of a stand within 50 yds of yours! (or vice versa if he was there first). Man around here if you are within a few hundred yards of someone elses area they have established to hunt, your looking for trouble. Pre-season scouting and putting up stands usually identifies who is where and these things get ironed out before the hunt even begins.

I had another hunter who is in my area call me to tell me a buck I was hunting was on his trail cam at a stand location 400 yds from mine on the other side of a large beaver meadow. He was not able to hunt it anymore due to work committments and so he called me to move over if I wanted. By knowing who is who we worked out spots and usually end up working together instead of against each other.

We always joke that if the other guy shoots a good buck we will be jealous, p!ssed off etc. but also happy for the other guy as well. The other thing is we ALL make sure that people know we hunt in the area when they show up or talk about hunting there. As much as we can't stop them becuase it's public there is 5 guys down this area of land who have all worked together to not step on each other toes. People get told it's crowded enough and go find another area (respectfully of course).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.