Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your bang/flop ratio?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default What is your bang/flop ratio?

Ok, I admit to having too much time on my hands to calculate this but all the comments about bang/flop got me thinking. Usually that isn't a good thing, but it was fun anyway so here goes.

I have only been deer hunting for about 18 years and average just under one deer per year so my ratios are easy to calculate. I came up with 4 ratios. The overall bang/flop ratio which counts all deer no matter how they were hit. The ideal hit ratio is where the shot was heart/lung/should shots which should be the quickest, most effective shot. Of the deer I shot, I also calculated the percentage that ran out of sight for both ideal shots and overall. So here are my numbers:

Overall bang/flop ratio: 64%
Ideal hit bang/flop ratio: 78%
Overall drop in sight ratio: 93%
Ideal hit drop in sight ratio: 100%

All of these deer are with a 30-06. I am really pleased with the drop in sight ratio. Out of the deer I have shot, only 1 has ever run out of sight and he was shot in a quartering frontal shot. All the rest have dropped in their tracks or have not gone out of sight.

So what is your experience?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I've never had one just drop where it was shot, but I have had them pile up within 20 yards of where they were shot. I've also had them run for hundreds of yards before going down, I really don't appreciate them doing that.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

well...bow hunting...aint really a bang...but they do flop....they do ganors too..
rifle hunting....all the neck shots drop in their tracks....
double lungers only go 20 yards..maybe 30..
never taken a head shot on a deer...
had 1 gut shot...went 4 miles, layed by the gate, and we didnt find it fer 2 days...when we went to leave!!!
overall, i think the neck shot while the deer is facing you is in-deed the best shot for droping deer in their tracks, without wasting much meat.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Spike

You have been hunting for 18 years and average under one deer a year? Son you need to be doing some killin
Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ssnow1970
You have been hunting for 18 years and average under one deer a year? Son you need to be doing some killin
Believe me I try but I have very poor, limited land to hunt. It is getting harder and harder to find land to hunt on. Either people don't allow it or there is already someone with permission to hunt it. All the land I had to hunt on in the past few years is just a traveling area and I am lucky to be there when the random deer finally does come through.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ssnow1970
think he is looking for bang/flop ratio, not someone calling him son and ragging on him... absolutely nothing wrong with the way he hunts, as long as his ethics are secure, not yours.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Spike

16 one shot kills 4 deer missed and one of the deer i missed i hit him on the second shot.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike

my bang/flop ratio this year during gun season was 50 50 droped the buck in my avatar at 80 yards with mossberg 12ga shot him high in the lungs the others were three doe one droped like a rock the other two went about 40yards then floped lol
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

i killed 11 deer shot 21 shots 6 one shot kills 3 two shot and 2 3shots 3misses. 4 piled up dead in their tracks. I use a .308
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

My old Marlin .30-30 rifle on a small 3 point/spike buck: Bang---Flop.

My Reflex Highlander compound bow on a nice 6 pointer: Twang---Good hit, run, run, run, ...lost him.

My Savage .308 rifle on a nice sized 5 pointer: Bang---Flop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.