Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Savage Arms Bolt-Action Slug Guns >

Savage Arms Bolt-Action Slug Guns

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Savage Arms Bolt-Action Slug Guns

Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Savage Arms Bolt-Action Slug Guns

does anyone own this gun, I live in NJ and we can only use a shotgun. is a 12g better then a 20g for deer and black bear?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot..._SEQ_104801580
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I don't own one, but know a couple of hunters that do, and IMOP it is simply one of the best!!, I was a rifle hunter for many years and now I hunt with a slug gun. In the last few years gun mfgs have put some serious work into improving the shotgun & slugs, and imop they have done it right!!!, in the past it was like "throwing a rock" ever heard the expression "couldn't hit the side of a barn"? well, run a slug through a smooth barrel shotgun and you will get the meaning. As to the savage you cannot go wrong, great gun, I use a Mossberg 695, they are not made anymore but if you see a good used one, snap it up, they are not as nice as the savage, but a real tack driver. let us know if you get the savage. (you won't regret it) I think I would go with the 12ga, and a decent 2x fixed power scope.
Doc

Last edited by DocD; 11-29-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Sniper, for several years I was looking long and hard at getting a slug gun. But through all of my research, I found that most of the time, a 20 gauge is better. For a few reasons. They don't kick as hard, But the best part is this, a 20 ga. slug has less drop than a 12 ga. slug. The 20 ga slug is not near as heavy and does not have the same knock down as the heavier 12 ga slug but there is more than enough to take a deer out to about 125 yds. or more. And what I've read lately, 200 yds. is now possible with a slug gun. Also a 2.75" shotgun shell slug has more range than a 3" slug. Less knock down, but more range. Good huntin, Scott Woody
Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Sniper,

Look at the Fire Review Forum below - a lot of comment on both.............

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/329636-savage-h-r-slug-guns-impressed.html
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lswoody
Sniper, for several years I was looking long and hard at getting a slug gun. But through all of my research, I found that most of the time, a 20 gauge is better. For a few reasons. They don't kick as hard, But the best part is this, a 20 ga. slug has less drop than a 12 ga. slug. The 20 ga slug is not near as heavy and does not have the same knock down as the heavier 12 ga slug but there is more than enough to take a deer out to about 125 yds. or more. And what I've read lately, 200 yds. is now possible with a slug gun. Also a 2.75" shotgun shell slug has more range than a 3" slug. Less knock down, but more range. Good huntin, Scott Woody
I hear ya, and I couldn't (wouldn't) argue, in fact if I were to purchase it would be the 20,(I already have a 12) I only said 12 (and maybe shouldn't have) because that is what I have been using, and my shooting is limited to 100 yd or less , my Mossberg 695 with its synthetic stock and ported barrel is fairly lite & recoil is minimal, but your points are well taken & I agree, Good Hunting, Doc
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Model 210 in 12 gauge and shoot Hornady SST 300 grain. Sighted in at 100 yards and shoot sub-MOA from a bench with a gun vice. Shot a decent 8 point last night with this setup from my treestand at 125 yards. He didn't go 35 yards and heaped up. In my humble opinion, it is the greatest shooting slug gun I have ever shot. There is a growing movement towards the Savage 210 in 20 gauge. It shoots fast and straight and according to what I have heard, it is as lethal as the 12 gauge. If the Savage was available in 20 ga. when I bought my gun, I would have seriously considered it.

here is a link to a review:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_slug_gun.htm
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Will they let you use muzzleloaders? There are some really accurate versions of them and I know alot who prefer them instead of shotguns (if allowed).
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Spike

Just got my savage 220F a few weeks ago. Scored its first deer today, actually make that a double for today.

The 20 ga is newer than the 12ga and features more like the savage accutrigger. For deer, I see no need for the 12ga, the 20ga in the savage is a 200+ yard gun. They can be a bit picky on ammo, however the recommended Federal Barnes tipped eXpanders seem to be shooting well for me (have shot a 5 shot 1.25" 100 yard group). Amazing for a shotgun. I dont call it a shotgun, I call it a 20 gauge riffle!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own the 220 YET I will be getting one soon, I do love my H&R 20ga. The 20ga. is perfect for deer and it will take a deer down just as quick as a 12ga., like you I'm hunting bears in NJ as well, and want a little more knock down power so I will opt for my 12ga. which I used in 2003 to take a NJ bear
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Will they let you use muzzleloaders? There are some really accurate versions of them and I know alot who prefer them instead of shotguns (if allowed).
yes there is a ML, and I have a TC which i love but you can only use a shotgun during buck week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.