Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

my first big buck

Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to go against the grain here and say congrats and great story. Of course I hunt from and around my house as well. I am the only house in a 40 acre neighborhood and hunt the fields and woods around. I hunt elsewhere as well, but I can get home and hunt the last hour of light. I haven't gotten any great bucks here, but I do get one or two for the freezer and that is mainly what I am after.

I almost shot a deer from my front door a couple years ago but decided to go out the back door and around the side of the house. I shot him in my sock feet in the rain. I got a turkey in my PJs and slippers as well. I don't sugar coat it and I don't apologize for it. Most of my deer are taken from a stand or blind, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth either.

Enjoy the deer and enjoy telling the story, you have every right too.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

I spent 3 days in the woods this season, with nothing to show for it.

If one made it easy for me, I wouldn't feel bad; as they have out smarted me all season; and last season too.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Spike

i beat that i have been out 6 times this year most of them in November and have not had a deer come close enough to shoot unless completely obstructed for a shot. maybe muzzle loader season will be good to me. happy hunting yall
Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

idc if you shot it once or ten times! Thats a great buck! congratz
Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

good deal man
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike

Very nice deer, meat for the frezzer and antlers for the wall.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I am going to go against the grain here and say congrats and great story. Of course I hunt from and around my house as well. I am the only house in a 40 acre neighborhood and hunt the fields and woods around. I hunt elsewhere as well, but I can get home and hunt the last hour of light. I haven't gotten any great bucks here, but I do get one or two for the freezer and that is mainly what I am after.

I almost shot a deer from my front door a couple years ago but decided to go out the back door and around the side of the house. I shot him in my sock feet in the rain. I got a turkey in my PJs and slippers as well. I don't sugar coat it and I don't apologize for it. Most of my deer are taken from a stand or blind, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth either.

Enjoy the deer and enjoy telling the story, you have every right too.
You are so right, and thank you.... I have limited hunting area, I will take what the land will give me. I don't shoot fawns,spikes, or 4 points. It has to be at least a 6 point... This is the first deer I have ever shot from my back yard, and I have live here for 20 years. Some of you complainers, you cant tell me if you where in my shoes you wouldn't have shot him... The biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof, and can hunt where he is standing. I didn't have to think for very long if I was going to shoot him. I don't have my own land. I am at the mercy of 2 people to let me hunt. One is a 35 acre spot, and the other is where this buck was standing, 14 acres.... That's all I have for area to hunt. I wont hunt public land, to many people, and most of them are out of state.... To all of you that are congratulating me, I give you a very big THANK YOU..... Like I said, I have hunted these two spots for 20 years, and have never, NEVER, seen a buck this big...
Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice deer but frankly I wouldn't call it hunting..sorry. Going out for a smoke and seeing a buck in your neighbor's field, grabbing your rifle and shooting it??? then going to finish the job with your shotgun!?! It was just pure luck that you shot him and possibly not even legally considering how close you were to occupied dwellings. Go ahead and mount him if you want but....if that's the case I could have mounted a nice buck I got with my wife's Chrysler Sebring a couple years ago. Same thing IMO.
I shot a buck that big this year but after putting in 126 hours in my tree stand. Now that buck was hunted as he was one of the 2 I was after all season.
If I hit a very big buck with my car, and money was not a problem, yup I would have him mounted too.... Its not the same thing. It may not have been taken with a gun, but it still would be the biggest buck I ever got, no matter now it was taken... It would be a hell of a conversation piece when friends saw it hanging on my wall.... lol.... I put every buck I have ever shot on the wall, no matter how small, I proudly display all my buck kills. This one will be my first full mount, and not just the antlers, and I will be proud of him. You cant change that... Everyone is proud of different things they do in life, this is one I am very proud off.......
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
If I hit a very big buck with my car, and money was not a problem, yup I would have him mounted :
V8Ranger, ya did good, and I'm proud of ya!!!! But I gotta draw the line on mounting the "RoadKill" Just not right!,, if everyone did that B/C would have to open a new catagory. Doc
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
V8Ranger, ya did good, and I'm proud of ya!!!! But I gotta draw the line on mounting the "RoadKill" Just not right!,, if everyone did that B/C would have to open a new catagory. Doc
Lol, he would have to be a monster before I would have him mounted...lol..... Many many years ago, the biggest buck ever killed in this area was hit by a car. This was like 20 plus years ago. The thing was a monster. I would have proudly had that thing put on my wall. It was 20 plus points and just massive.... But like I said, It would have to be a monster like that before I would mount my own road kill...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.