Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ever been lost in the woods while Deer Hunting? >

Ever been lost in the woods while Deer Hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever been lost in the woods while Deer Hunting?

Old 07-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ever been lost in the woods while Deer Hunting?

No, never, I always carry my old Boy Scout compass if I am on State land.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Spike

I' ve spent the night in the woods twice. My sense of direction is a standing joke at deer camp. Both times I overnighted it I' d forgotten my compass, and they were overcast days. I got a gps a couple of years ago, and now keep it, spare batteries, and a compass in my fanny pack. To be honest, the nights in the woods weren' t all that bad. I built a fire, had an emergency kit with instant coffee, chocolate bars, and it didn' t rain.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess about 20 years ago I went with a few guys and one of their sons, On state land that I ' ve never been on. After about 3-4 hours I was getting hungry so I started walking back to the truck, After a while I came upon the son, I told him I was heading back to the truck for a break, He told me I better turn and head the other way. If I hadn' t run into him I' d probably still be walking.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

About 9 years ago I had shot a deer just before legal shooting hours were over. I carried my climbing stand and gun back to the truck, got the maglite, and went back to claim my deer. It was an overcast day and by this time it was dark. I had a nice blood trail that started about 20 yards from the tree I was in so paying no attention I started following it. I found my deer about 75 yards later and began to drag him back out on the same blood trail. After nearly 20 minutes of dragging I realized something wasn' t right. I pulled off one of my gloves and turned it wrong side out so the white liner was showing and put it on the ground. I began dragging again and wouldn' t you know it, I came up on my glove again. I' m still not sure how many times I walked in that same circle. Now I start to panic. After a few minute I realized I had to get myself together. I sat down on a stump and started thinking. About that time I heard a car go by in the distance and remembered the only road close enough to hear a car was to the south. About 30 minutes later I was at the truck. Haven' t been lost since.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:12 PM

been there one time ; back in 1964.myslef and two other guyes went toi lake marion creek squirrel hunting.this one guy (" Knew" ) the land.he said we had to walk about 3/4 mile to a large oak hammock.plenty of limbrats.
that was sunday morning befor daylight.
ge got back monday afternoon just befor dark.they had planes,helio' s,and about 350 poeple hunting us.we say only one plane and one heilo.
it started to rain about midnight,we did have limbrats to eat.

Just one of those things ; been turned around for a few min. since,but not what you would call lost.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-19-2003, 04:06 AM

Hmmm lost while deer hunting....NEVER!!!!!!!!! But I do admit to been totally lost while moose hunting in Northern Ontario back in the early 70' s....spent the night in the bush totally lost cold & wet & famished.....honestly thought I was going to perish but my military survival training kept me going....to make a long story short, I got soaked, my matches wouldn' t work, my flashlight went dead & I spent the whole night walking & finally around 7am walked out onto a bush road just as an OPP was going by...I flagged him down & told him what had happened & he immediately got on his radio & said...I FOUND HIM!!!!!! My buddies had called them the night before when I didn' t show back at camp & they were just headed into the area with the whole works, dogs, helicopter, etc to start searching for me.....it was an experience but quite frankly, I never want to do that again.....yes we ended up getting a moose & yes I was out hunting the following day after warming up & getting my clothes dried out!!!!!!!!!!!! [:-] Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 07-19-2003, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep. I was hunting in the Black Hills in SD. It was toward dark and I was tracking a deer and got completly turned around. I thought I was going to spend the night out there and it was already down around zero. I had no matches or light or anything. I was lucky enough to come on to a fire road and before long some other hunters came along that knew the area real well. I explained to them where I thought I had left my truck and they took me right to it. I was scared stiff and the good thing is that I will Never never never never get into that fix again. I will never go into the wood or down a river without a good survival kit. It is really a awful feeling and I never thought I would panic until it really happened to me.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

It happened to me about 4 years ago, it had rained really bad and I was forced to walk in from the highway. I did finally find my stand and ended up having a great morning, never shot but I did see alot of deer.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:24 PM

Yep, on a few occations I have gotten totaly lost in the woods. But in general I knew the directions and could always beat my way back to a road or camp.

Two year I purchased digital compass watch and it has helped very much! I take a baring when vernturing off and when changing direction take another baring, I can leterally walk back the same way I came in.

Quick Reply: Ever been lost in the woods while Deer Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.