Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Game Laws

Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Spike

When officers are questioning you...ask if youre under arrest.

If you ARE, SHUT YOUR MOUTH unless youre going to say. "I want my lawyer.". Repeat as needed.
If you're not, say youre "busy and want to go. Give me your card and Ill call when its convenient for me.". Repeat as needed. DO NOT CALL BACK AND TALK!!

From a youtube video...(Don't talk to cops, part 1)

"Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police."

The video (which is about 50MINS long) has PLENTY of examples where one little word screws you. There is an officer who comes up and talks as well and confirms what the lawyer says.

If officers show up at your door and knock...
1. Open the blinds so they can see your hands.
2. Ask if everything is ok.
3. If they ask to come in or for you to come out "so you and them can talk", say "Im almost naked and we are talking now, through the window. If you would like here is my phone number...feel free to call me."
4. If they claim to have a warrant(which may be a lie) say "Here are my hands(Make sure they are visible to the police), kick down the door"

Last edited by MrWinkles; 11-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what to say. We don't have to check in deer but we do have to report other animals in certain towns. It's something you have to remember doing. If your buddy and you forgot, well this is the result so far. Hopefully this isn't serious but it must be for a C.O. To go this far..I'm sorry that you forgot and the situation your in,
but don't talk, don't answer get a lawyer. Don't let them in your house without search warrants.They are obviously out for blood..
The British Columbia Regs state you should (doesn't say you must) keep all tags fir as long as you own your mount.That being said your buddy can get his stuff
back from these awsome ideas.
The paper trail isn't hard to follow though. Taxidermists will have tag and licence records of all work completed for a mandatory 7 years, and longer.Butchers and processors will have the same records for a mandatory 7 year period.Field pictures will also be handy,get ahold of all these pics throughout the years , and get testimonials of all buddies that where there during each particular kill.
Both may never throw this stuff away, you never know. But yeah you keep your licence and tags for as long as you own those mounts.
Never get rid of them.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-27-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

The final verdict: Everything was dropped but he paid a lot and lost his hunting privledges for two years. Lesson Learned: Check in your harvest when required and do not speak to a WMO without consulting with a lawyer.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best buddy is a judge, and was once a hot shot defense lawyer. I talked with him on this. Mistake #1 - Not checking in. Mistake #2 - Volunteering information at all. You had not been charged must less arrested. Mistake #2 (The Monster Error) - "The Man" needed an executed search warrant in order to enter the premises. But not after being given consent !!! At that point he could look for anything about anything.

And I refer you to a popular Star Wars movie: "Now you be in deep do-do."
Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

We talked about this on a Ky hunting forum. They say you must show proof if you have a deer rack or something. I could be taking a rack to show a buddy I had killed 20 years ago and get busted if I didnt have proof of the kill. Thats BS. I have looked in the hunting manual up and down and have yet to see where I need proof forever. All I could find was I needed to keep the telecheck records with me anytime Im hunting for the current year.

A CO chimed in and said unless they drove by and saw a huge number of racks hanging on a barn or such they are not going to bother you. Thats BS too. No one has yet to show me the law written any place that shows I must keep records until I die on anything I kill.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Never offer free info to LEO. If they need info, they have plenty of ways they can obtain it legally. Don't ever just let them in or look around for free. SUcks for your buddy
-Jake
Old 12-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yea there was a lot of lessons learned here. I have still yet to find the punishment or requirements for checked or tagged game. I have also yet to find what happens when violations have been committed.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did he get his stuff back?

I agree...the not being able to hunt part would have to be the hardest. Tough lesson for sure.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Spike

Default Game Laws

Game laws are statutes which regulate the right to pursue and take or kill certain kinds of fish and wild animal (game). Their scope can include the following: restricting the days to harvest fish or game, restricting the number of animals per person, restricting species harvested, and limiting weapons and fishing gear used. Hunters, fishermen and lawmakers generally agree that the purposes of such laws is to balance the needs for preservation and harvest and to manage both environment and populations of fish and game
Old 05-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well let this be a lesson to all of use on the to do and not to do's. I probably would have done the same thing but not now. I guess we also need to be better record keepers. I have a great rack in my basement that I don't have a tag for.