Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road >

just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

just watched a guy shoot a deer from the road

Old 11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

so u guys would be ok if the guy goes on the other side of the ditch and shot it if its not posted?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's see: Broad daylight, eye witnesss, vehicle description, license plate number, description of the perp, description of the deer, etc, etc. No call to DEC?? Am I the only one doubting this story. Yup, as stated earlier, more than just a little part of the problem.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your reasoning is complete bs. It makes no difference what kind of road you are on. It isn't whether it is legal to shot from the road it is an ethical thing. I know I would feel like a master hunter if I done that. And if you didn't have permission you would be tresspassing if it wasn't public land.

When I see a large buck in a feild driving to my stand to hunt I will stop admirer him and hope he makes it my way. But there is no way in hell legal or not I am shooting from the road or just off.
Ethics is nothing more than your personal beliefs. If you don't want to shoot from a road then don't but if someone else shoots from a road and isn't breaking any laws then let that person be.

I don't know the NY laws and I am not going to look them up but my reasoning is completely sound and legal depending on where you are hunting and what road or type of road you are on. Sometimes I climb a tree sitting right on a dirt road. Shot a buck last year right smack in the middle of a dirt road from 30 feet up in a tree. Regardless if I am walking, driving or sitting... if the deer is there and I am not violating any laws that deer is getting shot. Here in Florida you can shoot from a vehicle or boat so long as all vehicle/boat movement from the motor and/or sail has stopped and the motors are turned off. Certain roads you can not shoot from but certain roads you can.

What I get with your reasoning is that suppose you took a trip to Alaska to hunt caribou and a heard of caribou happen to walk a couple hundred yards from the front door of camp you would pass and walk miles in instead of taking a shot in your undies so you could feel like a "master hunter"? I'm gonna shoot from the front porch in my undies.

That's no better than the people who shoot deer in their backyards in residential areas. They think they can get away with it because they use a bow.
Same thing.... could be perfectly legal depending on where you live.

Last edited by bigbulls; 11-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Ethics is nothing more than your personal beliefs. If you don't want to shoot from a road then don't but if someone else shoots from a road and isn't breaking any laws then let that person be.
exactly! what difference do you think it makes to the deer anyway, how far away from the car youre standing, when you send a speeding chunk of lead through its body? why does everyone have to act like hunting has to be "hard" to be ethical. Personally I dont care how people kill their deer, just as long as they wait till the season opens and take only what they have tags for.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Same thing.... could be perfectly legal depending on where you live.
If I was talking about the people who did it legally I wouldn't have posted it.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

holy cr** guys i said i was sorry i didnt call....why do people get murdered and people hear the gun shot yet nobody calls....cause people thi.k someone else will do it..was i his property idk i didnt get out to talk he was in jeans thats why i dont think so...thought this wa s a website to tell about huntin and interact i didnt no it was a website to rip on the thread poster..i said i was sorry i didnt call i cant change it now..my dad was drivig the car and he didnt turn back we just kept going. so how bout everyone takes a chill pill
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by steve25
Your reasoning is complete bs. It makes no difference what kind of road you are on. It isn't whether it is legal to shot from the road it is an ethical thing. I know I would feel like a master hunter if I done that. And if you didn't have permission you would be tresspassing if it wasn't public land.

When I see a large buck in a feild driving to my stand to hunt I will stop admirer him and hope he makes it my way. But there is no way in hell legal or not I am shooting from the road or just off.

The only except to this would be a disabled person with a release from a DR and appoved my the state allowing him to hunt from his truck. I don't mean it ok if the said person drives around until he sees one to shot. The person should be hunting on ground he has permission to hunt and using his vechile as a stand not driving around the property.

If I saw a big buck from the road on state property or land I had permission to hunt on, you better believe Im gonna get out and try a shot from OFF the road. If that deer wants to just stand there, its his fault. Its perfectly legal if youre off the road and its land that youre allowed to hunt here in Indiana. Its illegal to shoot from a road. Thats how the DNR gets people with their decoys. They cant get them for poaching simply because their decoys arent real. All they can get them for is shooting from the road. If you have the opportunity to take a huge buck LEGALLY, why not do it? I would.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269
so u guys would be ok if the guy goes on the other side of the ditch and shot it if its not posted?
I'd do it if its legal. Deer arent religious icons. I dont worship deer like hindus worship cows. I show them deer enough damn respect as it is. Let the babies walk, admire the mothers, watch small bucks and let them just keep walking. Try and help them get better nutrition and all that good stuff. And I dont attend the Church of the Deer. Some people are just odd. Deer worshipers. lol.

Just my 2 cents. Not yours