Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heated Clothing

Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 AM
Spike

Default Heated Clothing

Does anyone use the new heated clothing made popular by motorcycle rides as a base layer or top layer for cold weather bow hunting? I am trying to cut down on the bulk of cold weather clothing but am concerned about freezing my marbles off in doing so.

I spend many hours perched in tree stands during cold season ( +10 to –15 ) and I don’t care for heated box blinds. My shooting skills depreciate immensely when bundled up like an Eskimo waiting to club a seal. I thought maybe some of the heated clothing would be an option but I know very little about it.

Thanks for any tips or recommendations!

WS
Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a heated suit that I doubt you will get cold in. You will need NO other outer garments.

You may or may not want to try it.

Now as to what it will do to scare deer off or burn the woods down is a whole nuther story.

But seriously, when I want some extra protection against the cold I just use strips of good old duct tape and secure some of these to my first layer. 1 near the heart and 1 on each leg near the artery usually does wonders. If your feet get cold easily a few on your inner calf will do it. (I can unzip the legs of my bibs and jacket if I get too warm.)

Alot cheaper than an electric suit.

Even with a heated motorcycle/snowmobile suit you are going to have to figure out a good source of 12VDC like a real good motorcycle/snowmobile battery. And it will go dead everyday.

Last edited by uncle matt; 11-13-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, the heat packs work great when it's really cold. I don't know anything about the heated suits. Do you have good polypropylene thermals?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

The Heat packs are all i use, I do same as Matt, then also either put 1 in each glove or if i have my hand muff ill put 1 in it. The Toe warmers i dont really like just cuz they feel weird inside my boots but other then that i love them all. Also found some last year where u that u can peel off a tape like thing on the back and just stick them anywhere.