Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Kill

Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Kill

I was at work and got a call from my brother just after lunch saying he and a friend of ours where going hunting this evening and pretty much just gave me a heads up as to where they were going. Well 6:30 rolls around and I see a set of headlights pull into my driveway
and it was my bro and our buddy.Music is pounding could hear AC/DC Highway to Hell from inside my house.,and the horn is going off so I knew they killed something. Ran downstairs and ran outside in my socks, didn't even bother putting on my shoes and went straight to the box of the truck.The buck buddy got was about 165 net muley 4 points on one side three with a 2 inch sticker on the other. Heavy but not overly wide. They were driving home when my bro spotted a doe in the ditch on the side of the road. Buddy asked if they should even bother backing up but Darren said yeah he thought he saw an ass of another deer as well. So they stop back up and by the time they backed up this buck was standing broad side in the clear cut about 100 yards off the logging road.My bro and Buddy gets out of the vehical my bro puts his binos on the animal and tells buddy that it's a legal 170 class buck take it if he wants, buddy shoots this animal just behind the shoulder and the buck hunched.
He was in the middle of taking aim and firing again when the buck takes off. To make a long story short this deer was double lunged and ran over 400 yards up hill and down gully before it
passed.The blood trail was easy they just couldn't believe how far this animal ran before it succumed to death.He was using a 7mm Rem Mag.They have never seen anything like this before,I heard stories but it's never happened to me either. I'll get picks tomorrow in daylight,
the day was black by the time I saw it. Nice buck, I've shot and mounted bigger but considering, I havn't shot one since 2004,
I may have just taken this one and called it a season, if I was there.
Anyways tomorrow is Remembrance Day it's one of only 2 Days off in the year that I make sure I take off the other Canada Day but I won't be hunting I'll be at the memorial services. But good luck to you guys
that are going hope you bag something.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

These animals are tough as nails and at times it seems like a Tank round would not knock them down. I marvel that they can take a razor sharp broadhead in the vitals and at times run 1/2 mile on pure will power to live. On some hunting shows I have seen guys hit them with everything we can hunt with and still get up and run so far that you would think they missed the beast. But at other times a poor shot in the rump will knock them down,go figure. Glad you got yours though,must have pics. Later & Good Hunting
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

No question animals are tough. I know they've got adrenalin.
If I was a game animal and I got shot I'd do my best to attack the culprit and make sure he was dead before I expired.I don't have any sympathy for hunters that get attacked by defensive natures in the bush by any animal. I don't.It's what anybody human would do if they where attacked,I have no problem with that.You know I honestly think bullets and arrow heads are make too well these days. In the last three years I gave seen more wounded deer lost than killed.I wasn't there but I saw the bullet hole and exit locations it was exactly were I would have place my shot and exactly were I would have expected my bullet to have exited.I use 180gr. the Barns MRX for moose and elk season and than sighted in for the 165 hr MRX for deer. I'm thinking I may just go back to the Hornady Interlock for the rest of the deer season.Just because I know it will shed more fragments and not pencil through. These new bullets hit game like moose and elk hard, they really do, I've never seen anything like it, on moose and elk, but no Deer size animal should go 400yrds without any lungs unless it was just a pencil hole.I don't know what bullet Dale was using, I know he used a Barns tripple shock moose hunting but I don't know if he used this bullet for deer.But yeah like I said I think tomorrow, I gonna switch from Barns to Hornady for the rest of the deer season. I've herd too many wounded stories not to take a chance on me losing one.I appreciate the advancement that technology is giving us, it all seems great in theory, but in practical purposes it works on some but not on everything. I'm not gonna take a chance on hype, I'm gonna go old school and go with what's proven me to be the most effective on deer. It's been along time since I got an opportunity to shoot a big one buck, shot moose, elk , since but not a sheep or deer.Never wounded one never lost one, and I want to keep that record for as long as possible. Yeah it is inevitable that it will happen, I drive lots been in a couple of car accidents that Im not proud about, but I hunt lots and am very very proud of this record thus far. It's one I hopefully take to the grave when rotting in the ground.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats why ya never quit looking.
i hit a small buck with my bow friday, he didnt go but 20 yards round trip and was dead on arrival..(he did a u turn and came back towards me.)
on the other hand, i hit a doe one time, at 30 yards....looked all weekend, found half the arrow, blood on the veins...on the way out to go home..4 miles to the road...there she lay, right next to the gate, with my broken arrow and broadhead still aboard..had i not seen my arrow and broad head, i woulda thought it was someone elses deer.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
thats why ya never quit looking.
i hit a small buck with my bow friday, he didnt go but 20 yards round trip and was dead on arrival..(he did a u turn and came back towards me.)
on the other hand, i hit a doe one time, at 30 yards....looked all weekend, found half the arrow, blood on the veins...on the way out to go home..4 miles to the road...there she lay, right next to the gate, with my broken arrow and broadhead still aboard..had i not seen my arrow and broad head, i woulda thought it was someone elses deer.
Wow.Yeah I agree, you never quit looking.My Uncle shot a buck in Princeton, did a frontal shot, it took off ,the animal crossed the Hope Princeton highway 2 kilometers from wear he origionally shot the buck and crossed the highway.He went down into another logging area crossed the Tulamine River, He had to hike back to his vehical, drive almost an hour around to get to the other side of the river and found it at almost midnight it wasn't even dead. It was walking and stumbling. Lucky for him there was lots of snow. He shot at the animal at first light that morning.They can go the distance no question.