Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer beds

Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Spike

Default deer beds

I was kinda wondering where do deer bed at. Do they bed close to food.

I have 80 acres 30 corn cut down. I hunt over the field I got 2 deer so far 1 doe 1 button buck.

There is a nice buck 8 point keeps coming out right after dark to the corn field.

What can I do to get this buck before hunting hrs are over.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

If you know the general location he is slipping out at, you could go back into that area 25 or so yards into the woods with a climber. Get in the stand around 2pm or so.
Wait him out.
He's probably "staging" right at the edge of the woods watching until dark.

Find the thickest place on your property, where the sun hits first in the morning.
Also, a place that may be fairly open, but where they can see far, where the sun hits first in the morning.
Those have always been my spots.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Get some trail cameras and find a trail that he has been using.I have killed many bucks by doing just that.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Dan480Man
If you know the general location he is slipping out at, you could go back into that area 25 or so yards into the woods with a climber. Get in the stand around 2pm or so.
Wait him out.
He's probably "staging" right at the edge of the woods watching until dark.

Find the thickest place on your property, where the sun hits first in the morning.
Also, a place that may be fairly open, but where they can see far, where the sun hits first in the morning.
Those have always been my spots.
I agree 100%.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Spike

Im in the exact same spot your in, except I dont have the field, Ive got a huge creek, and about 120 acres of mixed hardwoods, pines, and THICK thickets between all if it with some old 4 wheeler trails mixed throughout it.

I have 4-5 doe, 2-3 fawn(couple of buttons) and random 6 point baskets, to a nice sized 9 point, but only get them on on my bait cam an hour after daylight til an hour before daylight. So there is no telling where they are coming from with all the woods and thicket they have
Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

I'ts pretty standard that deer bed high. If you have varying terrain, hunt high in the morning. Try to get in from the top though, if you walk in from the field to up top you may bust up a lot of the area. They come in from the fields and head up in elevation(warmer). If you have a south facing slope, bingo, set up high there in the morning (sun all day for them to bed) Then at night, field edges are primo. As they filter down to feed. I've had a lot of success hunting this way.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

I know some of the deer come from next door property.
I have 50 of oak and swamps mixed in and lot of thickets
I shot 2 out of the corn field small ones I see big ones at night all the dam time

There out there right after hunting hour in the corn 5 30 min