Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dead deer?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default dead deer?

well..this morning I rattled in a 150" 4x4 whitetail in Nebraska, anddd he was 40 yards and I put my HHA 1 pin on him with the dial at 35 yards and aimed a tad low and smoked him right in the shoulder...he was perfectly broadside and I heard the arrow thump him hard right in the front right shoulder,and as he ran off he ran up a canyon and stumbled on his front 2 feet and I could see the arrow sticking halfway out his right side(so it didnt penetrate all the way through)..I headed home after the shot and got a few good buddies and the 4wheeler and we came out bout 2 and half hours after I the shot,I felt good about the **** but when we got out there and looked for blood we only had 1 big spot of blood bout 30 yards from where I shot him and it was when he stumbled on his front 2's and we found NO blood anywhere after that,looked 5 hours for this deer and nothing..we walked every inch of the 360 acres with 5 guys and a 4 wheeler...did the arrow just hit in shoulder and hardly bled out because it was stuck in him and didnt pass through other side and he will bleed internally and bloat up and die????.....thnx guys,never have had this happen with a deer in all my years of hunting,THEY NEVER SHOW THESE KINDAY THINGS ON TV!!HAHA THEY JUST SHOW THE PERFECT KILLS,LOL..any advice would help.thanx again
Old 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

The shoulder is not a guaranteed kill. Alot of times the arrow doesn't even enter the vital cavity because of the heavy bone in the shoulder. a little behind the shoulder and he woulda been yours. I shot a buck a few years ago that had a broad head in the shoulder and it didn't show it till we skined him out.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

i just shot a doe in the shoulder last week and never found her either. got hit em behind the shoulder if you want to have some backstraps