Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Decoy question

Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

Default Decoy question

Ok, Ive already got my big buck of the year and have an opportunity to try my friends "bucky" decoy. I have a blind set up on the edge of a field with clover, and misc grasses. This area has rubs, scrapes, and I have personally rattled a nice 8 pt out twice during bow season but never could seal the deal because he only came out of the edge once, and before I could set my pin on mim my binoculars fell of and landed on my bucket I was sitting on and spooked him.

My question is, at this point in the rut phase, do you think its better to leave the antlers off "bucky" spray some golden estrus on the tail, or keep it a buck (small 6 pt rack) and set him up close to the clover and near the entrance to the field that the buck I have seen many times come out of.

I attempted it Saturday afternoon and the other buck never showed up, which led me to believe he was either intimidated by the presence of another buck in his area, or maybe I should remove the antlers and use it as a doe decoy in estrus?

Any ideas from others that have tried decoy/blind scenarios? Should I even forget about the blind and take my tree stand at the edge of the field? Im interested in what others may think.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Spike

i always keep the antlerss on if he his a strange buck in the area the others will challenge him and does will always check it out i feal a buck decoy works the best all year round
Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Flambeau deer decoys, one standing alert, the other feeding, ready doe. A few years ago I used the ready doe and every doe that came through that day did nothing but blow, snort, stomp and raise heck with it from over 100 yds!! Next day, same deke, just added my set of a basket rack 6 pt to it and killed a feeding doe just over its back!!!!!!!
I lost 2 REALLY nice bucks due to that lesson because the bucks were following the does and stopped because of all the commotion.