Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to do day before hunt

Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stop wearing cologne on sept 1 and use only oderless deodorant. Bow season here opens oct 1. I dont start wearing it again until I'm finished for the season.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Spike

I take a water bath only, scent free deodorant, and brush my teeth with regular tooth paste. As stated above i try not to eat anything that may cause indigestion or bad breath. also as stated above i wash gear and double and triple check needed gear for two day hunt. and make sure i have enough cover scent to get me by. I use raccoon and rabbit boy is it a fun morning in the stand when i use rabbit piss let me tell you something if you wanna see a bobcat try it you will not be let down especially if you know they are in your area, lol.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I check the weather forecast to learn the expected wind direction and then start planning where to hunt so the wind is in my face or at least quartering me.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Cologne? you guys are kidding, right?
All my clothes are hanging away from house scents for a week, then go into a bag with pine branches, etc. from the area I am hunting.
Scentless soap all the time: no scent year round is the best scent. hunting boots go on before going in the field. Truck is gassed up the day before-and any smokers know they arent riding with me, regardless of if they smoke in route.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

I usually only go out for a few hours at a time morning and evenings before and after work if my schedule for the day allows it. I keep all my gear in a bin in the truck all season so when I get a chance I am ready to go. I have never done hunting camps or weekend getaway hunts etc.. I just drive out to the WMA and hunt when I have the free time. This weekend I will try and sit all day and also when the rut kicks in I try an all day hunt. I have actually never done that yet so this season will be a first. Prior to hunting I try and shower but other then that I layer with scent blocker clothes and spray each later with a scent eliminator.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually go two days early and hunt pheasants in the pivot corners and weed rows. Spend the last afternoon scouting for my deer. All of our hunting is spot and stalk so we can find them before we hunt them. Sometimes if the weather is decent we'll shoot prairie dogs for a day or two.
Finding deer here isn't the hard part, getting close enough for a shot is the hard part.
I don't like and don't wear cologne....smells like rotten fruit.

Last edited by skb2706; 10-31-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I just get jittery
Old 10-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

I'm very fortunate to have hunting areas not more than 20 minutes from work. We have a shower at work so I can get cleaned up and put my gear on which I keep in a large plastic bin .I always get up and shower on the weekends and keep my gear on the back porch. I never wear sented anything before a hunt. I check my gear that night and that morning and put my safety harness on before I get to my parking area. Most of the time it all comes together and I climb with my stand and get settled in very quickly. It's great when you have stands in all your spots but I use my climber or ground hunt most of the time in prepared spots with good cover.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Get a shower right before bed and and go to bed early... That's about it for me. I do usually take my clothes and leave them outside overnight under our covered carport.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

i dont wear any smell good stuff but i do everything the same since i dont leave work and go straight to the stand since i work 12 hour nights so i go home get a few hours of sleep wake up eat take a scent free shower then head out to the stand then that night pack all my stuff back up the do the same thing the next morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.