Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

my decoy almost got shot..

Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Spike

Default my decoy almost got shot..

my dad and i got permission to hunt a very small parcel of land.. real small. 1 acre. its sits right along my road about 600 yards from my parents house. its an old homestead that now is over grown and has plenty of land surrounding owned by a guy that doesnt allow any hunting. he wont the lotto and bought up alot of it except for 1 acre that this guy wouldnt sell him. he has no intentions of hunting it and being the that the owner doesnt hunt deer havent been hunted at the land for a long time. my dad was on the ground on the north side (red dot) with decoy (brown dot) 20 yards south and i was the yellow dot in my climber south. wind was blowing SSE sometimes south which was okay because the deer were still feeding in the cut corn. the decoy was in a clearing on the old road used for the house that was there 20 years ago. i had lots of paths crossing there and it was pointed east towards the bedding area in the clear cut. sunrise was at 750 and we got to the stand at 6. enough time to get everything set up and me to get up my climber. no sooner than i get 12 feet up i heard raking and leaves crunching 60 yards southeast of me. its still really dark and i stop climbing and slowly get my bow up figuring on a shot as soon as it gets light. i can start seeing after 45 minutes of not moving and its a tall 8 that was rubbing along the cut corn working my way. 40 yards away. he only looks to be 2 1/2. he turns to head back towards the corn field where there are 4 does that i can see feeding so i lightly grunt to him and hopes he sees the decoy. he freezes for 5 minutes and starts walking again and i grunt again freezes. im in my climber on the opposite side of the tree im pretty much covered. he loses interest and walks away.
not 20 minutes later i have 3 yearling does run from the open field in the west across the street to 10 yards from my stand. i think a buck chased them off from their mom because i would see every morning a doe with trips and another with twins that would run together.
so they end up joining the other does in the cut corn to feed for the rest of the morning.
its about 830 and i see this truck stop on the road and back up to look down the old road that my buck decoy is on and he gets out of the truck and i try to get a the trucks numbers but its behind a tree. mind u this is all taking place on one acre so the trucks 40 yards from me and he gets out and yells at my decoy. i bought the harry decoy from primos. he starts flagging it trying to get it to move then starts walking towards it and yells back i dont think its real to the guy in the truck. i yell to him what do you think your doing. and he takes off running back to his truck and peels out.
i was mad at this point because its the first time ive been to this spot. theres almost no pressure at all and this guy starts walking into the woods on the property. i cant hunt it unless its a SE wind and thats rare to find and i have at least 12 deer within 150 yards and he pulls this crap.
we have some big deer around my house. three different 150 class 8's have been taking not less than 1000 yards from the property and two farms over my buddy took a a big wide 10 and a 189" inch monster. ive lived here for my whole life and have seen really big deer. great genetics and lots of soy and corn fields around with light hunting pressure produce some truely great deer. sorry for the vent but it makes me mad these guys trespassing and poaching the deer i hunt.
Attached Thumbnails my decoy almost got shot..-land1.jpg   my decoy almost got shot..-land2.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

should a put an arrow on the ground next to him
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Spike

i have my conceal carry permit with my 9 on me and the first thing i thought about was firing it opposite direction and with being so close it def would have been enough but i want to keep it and its all i need is to have a felony or something stupid bc a guy makes up a story