Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Amateur Hunter

Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Amateur Hunter

I have hunted in North Carolina for only a few years being relatively new to hunting. It seems every time season pops up, I am spending it in a foreign country. Well this is the first year I have had the chance to hunt all season and I just feel I am doing it all wrong. I am hunting on private land and I have laid all sorts of food caches with cams on them. A few big NC deer ( I say that because they would be tiny in somewhere like Kentucky ) have come through but only at night. I mean I am in stand early and out late. I cant seem to peg them down. I am hunting next to a creek bed that has plenty of paths around with tracks. Being relatively new to hunting, I cant seem to find scrapes and rubs. I have figured their bed downs around the where I am hunting only because I am spooking them. I mean can anyone out there give me an idea here. I just want to know it is the weather and not me...I have attached a google shot of where I hunt. Can anyone give me some ideas how they might hunt this area.
Attached Thumbnails Amateur Hunter-deer-land.jpg   Amateur Hunter-deer-land-2.jpg  

Last edited by abndevil82; 10-27-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Is stand 3 on a highline or something? Where are you entering from? And a geomap would help (showing elevation and what not).
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

First of all to the forum and hunting. Just from looking at the map I have circled 4 places in yellow where I would start. Not knowing where you are finding the sign. Funnels are a good place to catch deer moving through. Bedding, food sources, and water and the trails they use to move between these places are also good places to ambush them. Always play the wind meaning always have the wind blowing your scent away from the deer. Be still and quiet and you will see deer. Keep after it and good luck!
Live it up! Doug
Attached Thumbnails Amateur Hunter-deer-land.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Spike

posted topo of the map. any ideas
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I posted my 4 too. Damn near the same as KSWILD, that's funny.
Good luck, don't worry they'll start moving good here in NC soon.
It's gonna be a good 15 degrees cooler here Friday. Dropping from 81 to 63 during the day.
Attached Thumbnails Amateur Hunter-deer-20land-1-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I just looked again and I picked the exact same! Sorry KSWILD not trying to jump on your thunder or anything, that's just where I would be too.
Good luck!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by eureka77
I posted my 4 too. Damn near the same as KSWILD, that's funny.
Good luck, don't worry they'll start moving good here in NC soon.
It's gonna be a good 15 degrees cooler here Friday. Dropping from 81 to 63 during the day.
Oh yea almost exactly the same! So what do we know that everybody else doesn't? The drop in temp will get em movin!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

KsWild about hit the nail on the head for where I would have picked :P.

Great minds think alike? lol
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Doug and the rest of the guys my pics were close to the same as theirs are. I think we have a majority here so far.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

All four spots picked are inside corners. You'll always be able to hunt one of them no matter how the prevailing wind is blowing.

A topo with more area would be helpful so we can see surrounding features. Can you just link to the location? I don't think anyone is going to try to steal it.

By the way, are those mostly pines we're seeing?