Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Grunting problem

Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default Grunting problem

I'm new to the board so I thought I would get some advice of my fellow hunters. I just purchased a new grunt call here a couple of weeks ago. After losing my old cheapo that I have had for at least 4 years. On Friday of last week I had a nice 8 pt that walked into my setup at 60 yds and stopped and veered off. Of course the wind was in my favor. So I decided to grunt at him, and he spooked. Then again Sunday morning I had a shooter 10 pt do the exact thing. But he was within 45 yds, with not wanting to take a chance of just wounding im I waited to see if he would come in closer. But of course he stopped and veered also. So I tried grunting again and be stood there wheezed, and bolted. Mind you that both situations the wind was in my favor and how I entered my stand was in the opposite direction. Is this just a case were I need to go back to my cheapo or just keep trying. would like to hear everyones opinion.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

What call did ya get?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

If the bucks in your area are well educated on grunting they might relate that sound to a past experience. I would have tried the same thing. Are you grunting softly? Once the rut is in full swing, then you could get more aggressive. Are you using an adjustable grunt tube? If so you could try to imitate an immature buck because maybe there's a monster that none of the other bucks want to mess with!! Stay positive!!! after all, you are seeing shooters!! Good Luck
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

IMO I think they were to close to be calling to, but it kinda spends on there body language too. Did you direct the sound towards them or away. If you do call when there that close, one must start very soft and get a lil louder until they hear it. Lot of variables come into play when there inside 100 yards.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

My guess is that the deer you are seeing and usin this call on are getting their arses run off by bigger deer. Many times I have run into deer that acted like i was blowing a blow horn when I grunted at them. I cant count how many times smaller deer would turn and run after I grunt to them with their tail between their legs. If it happens again, watch the body language of the buck after you grunt. Tail between legs, head down, not showing interest etc. will help you determine whats goin on. Remember, some deer are timid, while others wont think twice and come runnin in. Good luck
Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Spike

Both times was a very lite grunt with me trying to point the grunt call straight down. It's a Primos little BIG roar. I have also tried it out prior to being in the woods with it. I agree it might of been a little close to try. But like I said they were staring to walk away and I just was trying to grab there curosity, and it worked they bolted. I will try to attach the photo of the ten point in question, so I don't think it was a more of a mature buck.Grunting problem-cdy_0086.jpg
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Spike

all i can say is keep at it. never know what is goin to happen a little later in the rut. i have learned over the years by trial and error. you will have things figured out before you know it and a nice buck on the ground. good luck
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Man that's a nice deer. I hope ya get em. That showed good self control not to just shoot and trying to get him closer. I've never had this problem so I have no input. Looks like your getting good advice though, just wanted to say he's a nice deer.
Good luck!