Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Using scents (e.g. estrous) and playing the wind? >

Using scents (e.g. estrous) and playing the wind?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using scents (e.g. estrous) and playing the wind?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Using scents (e.g. estrous) and playing the wind?

***PLEASE, let’s not make this a discussion about scent lock, scent eliminators, etc. Let’s pretend, for the moment, that they do not exist.***

One of the basics of hunting is to hunt upwind, or at least expect that, more than likely, if you are going to catch a deer off guard, it will likely be coming from upwind or crosswind.

The concept of using scents, such as estrous urine or dominant buck urine, has confused me since I started hunting two years ago. You hang the scents up so deer will catch the scent and come to investigate. But, obviously, the scent is going to carry downwind, so you’ll be bringing deer in that are downwind of you. That, to me, is counterintuitive. I mean, even if you set the lure up 50 yards away from you, your scent will still be blowing in the same direction as the lure scent.

Let’s say the wind is coming from the north, as it so often does around here, and you set up 50 yards west or east of the lure. Yes, you are 50 yards away, but your scent doesn’t travel in a straight line and will disburse, just like the lure is doing. For some reason I can’t seem to wrap my head around the proper way to place them, if there even is one. Seems like upwind or downwind, to the relative right or left, your scent is still gonna carry with it.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Spike

I always put it out as a cover scent. Not sure if it actually attracts the deer, covers my scent, or my using a scent eliminator on my clothing does the trick, but I figure it can't hurt. I figure that if the deer is coming in down wind the scent helps hide my odor.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Not trying to make it about scent control. But my opinion on it is if you do everything to minimize your scent then the want of the deer to find out what that attractant is will overide his caution and he'll come in.
If ya go out stinkin he'll put that scent to you and will store it in his memory and always relate that scent to be hunted and it'll do more harm than good.
Also if your hunting in a stand high enough It'll be like your not around your attractant cause your scent will fall farther away to the ground then where the deer is or the scent. Does that make sense? I'm not to good at explaining things.
Anyway my .02 cents.
Good luck hunting!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take reasonable precautions against scent, but I don't go overboard because I think you can only do so much. I also do not hunt out of a stand. I tried it last year a couple of times with a climber and I didn't really like it. It's kinda like you're stuck, and it's a big hassle if you want to get down and still hunt (not to mention you have to carry the climber...not exactly quiet and it makes you much less agile). A permanent stand would probably be better, but I really don't have a place to hang one where I'd feel comfortable leaving it.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

When I start using estrous scent, like this weekend, I'll use a dragline. I wait till I'm at a certain point, about 120 yards, from my stand, take it out of the bag, drag it to my area, around my stand or tent to which way I want them to walk, put it back in the bag, and place up a hanging lure about 15 yards away, further if I'm rifle hunting. Once they get on that trail, they'll walk right in the same way. It seems that the estrous scent trumps your scent and makes them a little more vunerable to making mistakes. And coupled with grunting and bleeting, it makes for a great day of hunting. Just don't go overboard, like someone in another thread had stated. Just a little the first weekend, up the dosage the second.