Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Needing a quad. . .

Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Needing a quad. . .

I moved to Idaho recently and thy're a very quad friendly state. There is a lot of locked gates that you are allowed to drive a quad around but not a vehicle. So it looks as if I have to get a quad and become one of the million fat ass hunters that just drive around.

Ok what I really need it for is accessing areas that are too far to walk in from the gates. I have a camper shell on my truck that is fairly low, and was wondering if there are any quads that would fit under it. It measures 38" tall. . .

I'm looking for a cheap, reliable, atv. Its just for covering distance that I won't have to walk. A youth model would be fine, how does a like 100 cc quad do with a 180lbs person?

I don't really know what I want or need, just know I resent the fact that I have to buy a quad to effectively hunt here. Never thought I would become one of "them".

Talk me into a model, thanks, Kelpy
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try looking on Craig's List or some of the Iwanna add papers for a decent used one. I had rather pay for a good 4 wheel drive if buying another one.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Spike

if your just looking for somthing to get you around and not go through anything to extream why not just get a like a 50-100cc dirtbike, 1- it will go around the gates easy 2- you could lay it down under your camping shell 3- you could have one for under 800$ if you look around, seems like the right choice to me, and another thing it would be fairly easy to load them single handedly

but a down side is if you cant ride a bike, which most people can
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerhunt3r94
if your just looking for somthing to get you around and not go through anything to extream why not just get a like a 50-100cc dirtbike, 1- it will go around the gates easy 2- you could lay it down under your camping shell 3- you could have one for under 800$ if you look around, seems like the right choice to me, and another thing it would be fairly easy to load them single handedly

but a down side is if you cant ride a bike, which most people can
That is actually a really good idea! Does it not hurt them to lay on their side in the bed of a pickup? How does one go about hauling around a bow during bow season with a dirtbike.

I rode sportbikes for a few years when i lived in vegas. So riding the bike shouldn't be the issue. . .

Thanks for the input so far guys, Kelpy
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

yep it should be fine as long as its tieed down in some way, and turn the fuel off

and i dont no about carrying the bow, maybe like put your arm though the sting and the frame of the kinda like how a gun sling idea, they make bow slings too

you could just get a 50cc bike, there definatly powerful enough to haul you around, people get them all the time to ride around, full sized guys even race them like competively
Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

if you do get a dirt bike make sure that you turn the fuel off before laying it on its side. you dont want fuel all over the bed of your truck and possibly cause a fire. and before you buy one make sure that it isnt real loud you dont want them to know your coming
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.rokon.com/products/index.htm

Not cheap, not fast but very handy from what I have heard. Look around for a used one.

Check your state laws regarding bows and guns on a ATV. In SD, they need to be cased and unloaded if they are on any motorized vehicle.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Kelpy
That is actually a really good idea! Does it not hurt them to lay on their side in the bed of a pickup? How does one go about hauling around a bow during bow season with a dirtbike.

I rode sportbikes for a few years when i lived in vegas. So riding the bike shouldn't be the issue. . .

Thanks for the input so far guys, Kelpy
It's a really good idea but you have no idea how to haul a bow on it? Huh? Do you "hear" yourself?

And hauling out any game you might harvest? Any consideration to that little problem?

Alright. As to a practical ATV for the purposes that you described.

I picked up a pair of Suzuki LT-160E quads for well under $1000.
I think these are 1997's. 2WD, electric start, reverse, no clutch, chain drive, very light, only sips gas, and as you can see a couple racks to strap things on.

Very good in the woods as they can turn really tight.

Only thing I had to do was put a couple batteries in them a couple years after I bought them. the batteries were like $35/each. Of course I do regular oil changes and lube everything and these things have had the heck ridden out of them and have been trouble free.

Of course the racks are not as big as say my Polaris Sportsman 700's but the 160's will certainly haul a 200 lb rider and his gear/deer.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never measured the height to the top of the handlebars but IIRC they seem lower than 38". Regardless of which quad you wind up with ou may have to loosen the handlebars and pivot them down to get the clearance to get it under the camper shell.

I would really avoid the little 50/80/100cc ATVs. They are kinda toy like and really seriouslly designed for little kids around backyards and real light trail use.

Now if you want to throw money into the wind and get nothing but problems for it get yourself any one of those no name cheapo ATVs they sell at auto parts stores and the like. Perfect machines to get you into some real good places. But most likely will break and never get you out. And the parts that break? Good luck finding them! (Avoid,avoid, avoid!!!)
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah id go with an atv at 180 pounds you are in for a rough ride on a 50cc bike you most likely wouldn't be able to turn cause your legs be hitting the handle bars and come winter you would be in trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.