Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
question for ground blind hunters >

question for ground blind hunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question for ground blind hunters

Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default question for ground blind hunters

What do you do and/or how do you clear the area that you set the ground blind up?

Do you just make some noise setting up and clear leaves with your boot and a hands?

I'm thinking about looking for a small rake to take with me,... any ideas appreciated.

I hunt public ground, and would love to take a grass trimmer to get to bare dirt, but I don't think the warden would like my idea.

I just feel like whenever I move, I make enough noise for the deer in the next county to hear me.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wildchild04
What do you do and/or how do you clear the area that you set the ground blind up?

Do you just make some noise setting up and clear leaves with your boot and a hands?

I'm thinking about looking for a small rake to take with me,... any ideas appreciated.

I hunt public ground, and would love to take a grass trimmer to get to bare dirt, but I don't think the warden would like my idea.

I just feel like whenever I move, I make enough noise for the deer in the next county to hear me.

scrape the leaves back with your foot and stop worrien...

a deer that was 500 + yards away that morning might come past your blind, do you think that deer heard you moving leaves? lmao heck no ... ger-er-done
Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do it right, you just may call in a buck thinking another buck is making a scrape. No lie! LOL!

Blinds aren't that big, so in short order you'll have the area void of leaves. Just walk in slow, pick your spot, clear and set the blind up.(use hands or boot) It really helps to get in early too so that things "settle down" as they say.

Often I'll take the leaves, push some together and gently pick them up with my gloved hands(cold out) and lay them outside the area where the blind is going to be. I've also just set the blind up and then cleared the leaves to the sides once inside it. It does suppress some of the noise if you want to be more stealth.

iSnipe
Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Spike

Set the blind just after 1300 of the previous day let it sit in place with a good cover scent get in it early the next day and just be quiet or if your worried about the leaves that much wait till it rains and throw it up no noise that way.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike

Could also use an old blanket. I picked up a cheap fleece one(9.99) at cabelas and was surprised how much it helped cut the noise down. Now if I could just get the deer to walk on the side of the blind I have the windows down
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DoeDown
Could also use an old blanket. I picked up a cheap fleece one(9.99) at cabelas and was surprised how much it helped cut the noise down. Now if I could just get the deer to walk on the side of the blind I have the windows down
They smell the fleece...