Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Down

Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default Buck Down

Last night, my brother and I decided on an evening. He settled into a stand in the middle of the woods that we hunt and since I had to work late, I chose a stand that provided easy and quick access without alerting any deer. While on my way to my stand, my brother sent me picture messages of 2 little basket racks that he had rattled in but were too small to shoot. Around 5:45, he gave me a call on my phone and told me he had arrowed a big buck. He said that he had performed another rattling sequence after the small bucks had left the area and a few minutes later he looked up to see a big buck rubbing trees and coming in for a fight. The buck continued to within 30 and that is when he shot. He told me that he was a little worried because he thought he hit it a little back. He said he watched the buck as it labored away and then bedded down about 80 yards away. He waited until dark and then backed out of the woods. On his way out, he found his arrow, which contained a decent amount of blood on it. We planned on meeting up at first light this morning to search for the buck.

We met up this morning and we were both filled with excitement as while we have both shot decent bucks while gun hunting, neither of us had ever shot a nice buck in the few years that we have bow hunted. After searching for the buck , we were relieved to find him about 100 yards from where my brother had last seen him. We were both filled with relief and excitement. Hopefully this is only the beginning of a great season. Can't wait to get back in the woods.
Attached Thumbnails Buck Down-1.jpg   Buck Down-2.jpg   Buck Down-3.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Spike

very nice buck
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck bud,sounds like an exciting hunt.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

tell your brother congrats on a stud of a buck
Old 10-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

that is a beaut' of a deer, so wide and heavy.. And I'm loving that kicker off the Brow tine.. Congrats to him..
Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a pig on an 8pt!!! I love big 8's.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck!

I lease some ground in Southern IL with a few guys. One guy has killed two bucks that look exactly like that one; wide, good mass, very similar tines.

You don't hunt near Mounds, IL do you?

Probably just coincidence, but I do notice that a lot of the mature deer seen/killed on our farm in MO seem to have similar antler characteristics. The two bucks my buddy has killed in IL are definitely similar.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Great buck!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck congrats!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

congrats! nice deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.