Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remingto 700

Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Remingto 700

I posted this under Gun forum, but thought it needs to be here also.

Tonight, Oct 20, at 9 p.m. ET. on Dish TV,(CNBC) channel 208 they are reporting on safety problems.

dog1
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

big show/documentary on cnbc about it right now....

"remington under fire"
Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

More BS....
Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Remington has been making the 700's for over 60 years, I don't know exactly how long, and I would think if there was a real problem with a design in the action they would have fixed it by now. My 50+ year old, 700 is one of th ones you have to have the safety off to unload it. My grandson's 2 year old 700 can be unloaded with the safety on, so they have made changes internally.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

There's no safety issues with the 700. The only safety issue is the person using it.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
There's no safety issues with the 700. The only safety issue is the person using it.

That says it all..........

Bottom line is don't point a gun at something that you don't intend to shoot.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

^ Did anybody actually watch it? From what I saw (small clip), there is an actual flaw with the safety mechanism; that is prevalent if dirt or rust weasels its way into the mechanism. Even the designer has said that there was a problem with it... in the 1940's. I personally have never had a problem with mine, but I am contemplating sending it in to get the new trigger assembly and safety mechanism just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
Exactly. Even IF there was a problem with the mechanism, no one would ever get hurt if people followed the 1st rule of gun safety: Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you have to send the rifle in to Remington to have a new trigger/safety assembly installed or can your local gunsmith do it? How much does it cost?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I saw that documentary was on CNBC the other night but I didn't bother to watch it. I have heard from a number of people that Remington's product has started to go down hill every since they were bought out by Cerberus. One of the same reasons I wouldn't buy a new jeep. My old 92 grand cherokee never had a problem, but I see the new ones (and anything else made by Chrystler) coming through the shop more than any other make or model.