Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Move stand or not?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5
Default Move stand or not?

For two years now I have had a little "honey hole" twenty acres with an L shaped fence along the property line. Deer funneled around this L in huge numbers seeing anywhere from 20 to 30 deer an evening. My stand is place about twenty yards on off of the corner of the L. Also have taken two really nice deer there the last two years in late October. This year I am not seeing the deer and the ones I am seeing are on the other side of the fence by a good margin (75 to 80 yards). I have some buck activity on my side, but with the rut approaching and not seeing any bucks during light I am wondering about a stand move. Is this a good idea this far into the season and with some buck activity close to my current stand? I fear that with rut approaching and does using a different route I may miss the boat on a nice deer. I know deer patterns change, but this change is pretty drastic.
Bosephus9 is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 02:59 PM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
deernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 1,260
Default

Leave it alone. Dont get to ansie pantsie. You had luck in the past. Just let off the stand give some breathing room. I would go back in Late Oct. If you have a camera let that little thing do the hunting.
deernutz is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
  #3  
Fork Horn
 
*twodogs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 411
Default

Originally Posted by deernutz View Post
Leave it alone. Dont get to ansie pantsie. You had luck in the past. Just let off the stand give some breathing room. I would go back in Late Oct. If you have a camera let that little thing do the hunting.
That is great advise right there. Rut is coming, it has produced before, don't over hunt it before the action starts, i.e camera...
*twodogs* is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location:
Posts: 218
Default

Originally Posted by *twodogs* View Post
That is great advise right there. Rut is coming, it has produced before, don't over hunt it before the action starts, i.e camera...
I agree too.
lswoody is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:41 PM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
iSnipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,304
Default

I never count on one stand for my success. Yeah, we all have a "go to" place, but at times the only placing we're going to, is back to the truck empty handed. LOL! Take this time to scout other places as well.

Also, if it were me, I'd want to know why the large displacement of deer travel. It almost always reveals itself by taking a quick scouting walk... and usually comes down to cover being removed, water source gone or food availability is not longer there.

Why move the stand? Why not scout for a new stand in that same area and while you're doing that, investigate what happened and why all of a sudden, the drastic deer movement change.

Over hunting or spending too much time in a area can get the deer to change their travel habits. They can scout your movement behavior just as you can theirs.

iSnipe
iSnipe is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:53 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
deernutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 1,260
Default

iSnipe good point. There are many variables to look into. Bose dont worry I had a bunch of bucks on camera last month. Then nothing for two weeks. Now I have bucks I have never seen before. Nice ones for SC. Gonna go get him tomorrow with my bow. Don't move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Move stand or not?-cdy_0466.jpg  

Last edited by deernutz; 10-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.
deernutz is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM
  #7  
Fork Horn
 
KCbuckeye22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Waynesville, Missouri
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by iSnipe View Post

Also, if it were me, I'd want to know why the large displacement of deer travel. It almost always reveals itself by taking a quick scouting walk... and usually comes down to cover being removed, water source gone or food availability is not longer there.

Why move the stand? Why not scout for a new stand in that same area and while you're doing that, investigate what happened and why all of a sudden, the drastic deer movement change.

Over hunting or spending too much time in a area can get the deer to change their travel habits. They can scout your movement behavior just as you can theirs.

iSnipe
Totally agree. Doing some scouting could reveal something. Maybe the neighbors planted some BIOLOGIC...LOL.
KCbuckeye22 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.