Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer scents

Old 07-14-2003, 12:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer scents

anybody body had any luck with cover scents and urine scents! just trying to find the best ones people think work best!!

good hunting
Old 07-14-2003, 09:37 AM

Default RE: deer scents

I use Fox or Racoon Urine as a cover scent and it usually works very well. If I' m near a stream I' ll use the coon stuff. Be careful though because I got busted one time by a few deer, after that I didn' t see much so I stopped useing the fox scent and started seeing more deer. They' ll figure out that when they smell the Fox pee in the same area that it' s you, not a fox.

So in short, when you use it use a lot of it but don' t use it all the time.

I spray my boots on the way in to cover my trail and spray the bottom of the tree I' m in and then the back of the tree once I get in my stand.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

I like using Doe Urine, and racoon urine. I use racoon urine in the tree actually. It' s natural for a coon to hang in the trees. This seems to work very well. I rarely get busted. I agree with Solex as well. If you get busted using one scent....it' s time to change. They will know.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:47 AM

I really don' t like to use scents on my boots when entering a stand.

My reasoning is this:

If I do use the scent I know the deer will smell it 100% of the time they cross my trail- if they spook or not - who knows.

If I don' t use any scent, and use solid scent control - there is at least a chance my trail will go undetected - and after a few hours will probably be gone for good.

That trail of coon or fox urine - will be there for days - if the deer do not like it - you will spook deer for days.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Best scent is no scent!!! I don' t use any scent on my boots, I wear only boots with rubber soles and practice scent control on all my clothes. I do carry a bottle of scent eliminator in my pack just in case, but it has no odour to it/neutral.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:33 PM

So what about Earth or Pine Scent??? This year I was thinking about getting some of those wafers that smell like Fresh Earth and hang them on my stand. It is impossible to be scent free so wouldn' t you like to have a cover scent for something you missed?

Has anyone used those wafers, if so what do you think?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Deer can smell alot of different things at once, so they will smell you and the cover scent. Save your money for scent elimination.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:54 PM

Scent killer has its own smell too, so I only use what is natural in the woods as a cover scent. I rub fir, cedar or pine bows on my hands and clothes depending on where I hunt and when sitting in Hardwoods I will rake the leaves over and apply fresh earth to my clothes. The wet leaves in a hardwood ridge have a strong oder, so I rub them on my clothes as well.
Even when using cover scent, I always try to use the wind in my favor!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used " carbon blast" last season,it seemed to work great.I to use coon cover scent if I' m up a tree.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:58 PM

i have used bowhunters setup from scrapejuice for the last two years and have taken 9 bucks and seen 24 bucks in all. it is the best stuff i have ever used. you should tyr it.

Quick Reply: deer scents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.