Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Muzzleloader shooting all over the place?? >

Muzzleloader shooting all over the place??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Muzzleloader shooting all over the place??

Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Muzzleloader shooting all over the place??

Can someone help? When I first bought my CVA MagBolt 150, I spent hours trying different powders, loads and bullets to get my ML to group. I even had the scope tested and traded the gun in for a new Magbolt. Eventually, I got a decent group using triple 7 powder at 85 grains and a CVA copper hollow point powerbelt bullet. The experience was so frustrating I have never shot the gun on the range since then but decided after years I should check it. I loaded the gun with the 777 power (original can is 9 yrs old and stored in the fridge to keep humidity down), added 85 grains and a bench vise at 100 yrds using a high quality scope. I was surprised, it hit right and 4 inches low. I continued to shoot more of the 348 gr powerbelts and the groups were all over. They were on paper but no groups whatsover. I am now questioning whether i really had decent groups in the first place from 9 yrs ago when I originally set the gun up.

anyway, this is one of the most frustrating things I have fooled with relative to hunting and was wondering what help/advice you might offer. I gave up yesterday after 8 or 9 shots and one hr as the shots were high, low, left and right (all over), reminding me of the process I started with. Pls advise, I wouild apprec the help. Our season starts saturday so i am about out of time.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Same here. I have limited my shots to 50 yards or less and moved up to 150 grain of powder. My groups are tight enough that Im killing deer but I would never try a 100 yards. If you figure out the answer just let me know.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

I have 2 CVA's "The Wolf" break open 50 cal and the "The Buckhorn" 50 cal mag.... I use 90 grains Pyrodex RS powder and a 295 grain aerotip powerbelt sabot. Never had a problem with this combination.
How often do you clean the bore? I believe I read somewhere if you use triple 7 you have to clean the bore more often. Guess I should add I shoot open sights.
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-18-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Spike

it sounds like your scope might be moving on you, also make sure you clean the barrel every 3 shots. i dont know if this will matter, but it sounds like your shooting to heavy of a bullet for that little amount of powder. i personally use 150 grains of pyrodex with a 290 grain barnes mz.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go to the muzzy forum. Lots of great guys that will have suggestions.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the scope is working properly and the mounts and rings are solid, the problem is probably the bullet or charge. Try another bullet. With a 50 cal ML, I start at 90 grains. I go up to 100 if the groups are still tight.

Right now I'm shooting 100 grains of loose pyrodex and 350 gr Hornady FPBs. 100 yd shots on deer are not a problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

I swab my barrel every shot. Use skoal cans for wet and dry patches and it only takes a second to clean after the shot. I have seen this solve a lot of peoples problems.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I do a light cleaning after every shot and after 5 a deeper chemical clean, so I am following this step.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

My father had the same problem 2 years ago and he really got into learning how to shoot better.

First, clean your gun like mad.

Secondly, shoot one shot, and dont really watch what it does.

Finally, you should lick (yes lick) a patch and run it down the barrel once or twice. Then get a dry one and run it down once. Then shoot again. After every shot, you should use one licked patch then one dry one.

Try this and let me know. it has worked wonders for us.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

I bought some wet patches and run one after each shot and then two dry ones. For me I shoot 100 grains (pellets) and Hornady bullets. My gun doesn't group as well when I shoot over 100 grains. I have it sighted in a little high at 100 yards and have taken several dear at around 150 yards. I shoot an Encore though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.