HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Legal Hunting age (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/332028-legal-hunting-age.html)

Jeff Ovington 10-16-2010 07:45 PM

Legal Hunting age

What is the minimium legal age hunting age in yor area,
that one can legally hunt on their own without being accompanied
by a Parent or Guardian.I don't have the Regs for British Columbia
but I think the legal age is 19.

halfbakedi420 10-16-2010 08:05 PM

well the Stars whooped dat arse sat nite..undefeated tyvm
legal age here is 16 with hunters ed..
without hunters ed, its still earshot

ek_buckmaster 10-16-2010 08:26 PM

In wisconsin its 12 with hunters safety (I think...)

Jeff Ovington 10-16-2010 08:41 PM

Wow. 12 years old, I mean you can't legally drink yet but one can hunt on their own.Probably not even legally drive yet.But a 12 year old can go out on his own hunting.Yeah, in B.C. 10 -18 inclusive must be accompanied by an adult,Who has a valid hunting license and must be within natural sight, and ear shot, without the aid of a sight, or hearing device.

Jeff Ovington 10-17-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3703630)
well the Stars whooped dat arse sat nite..undefeated tyvm
legal age here is 16 with hunters ed..
without hunters ed, its still earshot

Yeah Dallas and Toronto are both flying high.My Vancouver Canucks are disappointing me huge.Toronto undefeated in all 5 games they have played,Dallas undefeated in all 4 of theirs.Both teams leading their respective divisions and each conference..My Canucks are currently in 14 spot. Mind you the season just started and there is 78 games left before the playoffs but in this league you got to start off with a sprint cause a point us awarded for loosing in OT.The West is very very close a point separates a playoff position and sometimes it cones down to team record wins and loses goals for and against.But Vancouver will win the cup this year.I'm just disappointed about the open start they are having.Ha I just hijacked my own thread. LOLHunting,Hockey, Fishing my way of life. I love it.

halfbakedi420 10-17-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster (Post 3703638)
In wisconsin its 12 with hunters safety

hot dawg!!!!
i wouldnt leave my 12 year old in the woods by herself.....NO WAY!!!!

Jeff Ovington 10-17-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3703831)
hot dawg!!!!
i wouldnt leave my 12 year old in the woods by herself.....NO WAY!!!!

No, I wouldn't either..My wife and I still get a familly members to look after them when we are away from home for an evening.
Honestly,I'd be afraid to go into the woods, knowing a bunch of 12 year olds just got dropped off to hunt, without any adult supervision what so ever, reguardless of hunting education and skills these kids have. I'm afraid for these kids, I honestly am.I hear of so many hunting accidents in places and wonder where are the adults. Now I know why, the law allows them to hunt like this. It really really is a scary situation.I know alot of parents use their common sense but obviously there is alotthat just follow the law.It's sad.It really really is.

halfbakedi420 10-17-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington (Post 3703849)
No, I wouldn't either..My wife and I still get a familly members to look after them when we are away from home for an evening.
Honestly,I'd be afraid to go into the woods, knowing a bunch of 12 year olds just got dropped off to hunt, without any adult supervision what so ever, reguardless of hunting education and skills these kids have. I'm afraid for these kids, I honestly am.I hear of so many hunting accidents in places and wonder where are the adults. Now I know why, the law allows them to hunt like this. It really really is a scary situation.I know alot of parents use their common sense but obviously there is alotthat just follow the law.It's sad.It really really is.

my grandpa said he was hunting alone when he was 12...but said he probably shouldnt have been left alone lol

blackhawk_archery 10-17-2010 09:31 AM

12 here in IL to

kswild 10-17-2010 09:38 AM

Here is a database of the 400 hunting accidents in Wisconsin from 1999 to 2009 just hit search and the details of the each accident are on the right. Search these accidents and what becomes apparent is the shooters in these accidents or rarely under the age of 15 or 16 with the exception of a 2yr old and a dog.
Live it up! Doug

ek_buckmaster 10-17-2010 09:38 AM

Yeah all the ppl I hunt with on my uncles land have to sit with our dads until we are 14 and even then if he doesn't think we are mature enough will make us sit with them until we are or else we can't hunt on his land. I sat with my dad til i was 14 and honestly those were some of the best times i've had in the stand.

Beard Buster 10-17-2010 09:39 AM

In tn you have to have went through the hunters safey course but I was hunting alone at 12. Most kids shouldn't hunt until later I guess, but when I was 12 I was ready to hun for sure on my own. My dad would put me in a good spot and then leave to go do drives and stuff. I think most kids aren't ready to hunt alone by the age of 12. I'd say 15 at least to be honest. BB

Jeff Ovington 10-17-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3703856)
my grandpa said he was hunting alone when he was 12...but said he probably shouldnt have been left alone lol

Times have changed. Used to be a time when everything you did was outside and physical. My teenage years where the 80 's a point that changed. Video games started getting introduced and T.V hifi speakers loud music was a huge huge hit among us kids.we still got exercise and could still make a meal. but not like my father and my forefathers before him. Now do the kids ever leave the house.Most don't even know how to make a sandwhich.And laws that where adequate maybe at one time like when kids had to hunt to provide food for the familly cause the father was away working eg my Grandfather and people like him and before him.Laws aren't being changed to modern day lifestyle. Where the kids are couch potatoes playing video games and on the weekend the parents scoop him up and drop him off on the side of the road with a gun some bullets and maybe maybe 24 hours of hunting training that he has forgotten half of already cause he came home and played video games.The kid can't cook for himself yet but the parents figure cause the law says they can they do.I'm afraid of them getting lost not knowing how to spend the night outdoors, I worried for them getting injured and not being able to get help. I am worried about how they control themselves in the field.It's different now. Not like 50 60 years ago and prior.

Jeff Ovington 10-17-2010 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by kswild (Post 3703864)
Here is a database of the 400 hunting accidents in Wisconsin from 1999 to 2009 just hit search and the details of the each accident are on the right. Search these accidents and what becomes apparent is the shooters in these accidents or rarely under the age of 15 or 16 with the exception of a 2yr old and a dog.
Live it up! Doug

I counted the age group of 17 and under for the first ten pages.
I counted 18 self inflicted accidents for this age group I think 2 were same party member.Tells me that these young kids need better firearm and crossbow handling and need to be properly supervised..That is for the first ten pages ,didn't go any further but almost 100% of the 17 and under accidents, where because of self infliction.

kswild 10-17-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington (Post 3703889)
I counted the age group of 17 and under for the first ten pages.
I counted 18 self inflicted accidents for this age group I think 2 were same party member.Tells me that these young kids need better firearm and crossbow handling.That is for the first ten pages ,didn't go any further but almost 100% of the 17 and under accidents where because of self infliction.

I agree 100% Jeff the statics would indicate the need for better training. But did you notice they were very few 12 and 13 yr olds? Just my opinion but I think the parents are supervising their kids even though the law permits them to legally hunt by themselves.
Live it up! Doug

sachiko 10-17-2010 11:58 AM

You can bowhunt at 10 in Michigan and gun hunt at 12. But you must be accompanied by an adult until age 17. The adult must be close enough to observe and communicate with you directly without any electronic device, although not necessarily sitting right alongside.

genesis27:3 10-17-2010 12:13 PM

Here in utah you can take hunter safety at any age, but you cant hunt until your twelve and you have to have a guardian over eighteen with you.

sconnyhunter 10-17-2010 12:51 PM

This is new for Wis. this year.

Anyone under age 14 even with hunter education must still be accompanied by an adult
while hunting.
“Accompanied” for the purpose of accompanying a person at age 12 or 13 who has
completed hunter education means always being within Visual & Voice contact with the 12
or 13 year old hunter. Does not require remaining within arms reach and only one weapon.

Jeff Ovington 10-17-2010 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=kswild;3703904]I agree 100% Jeff the statics would indicate the need for better training. But did you notice they were very few 12 and 13 yr olds? Just my opinion but I think the parents are supervising their kids even though the law permits them to legally hunt by themselves.
Live it up! Doug[/QUOTE
Oh yeah I saw that. And I agree that most are supervised even though the law says otherwise.

marlin30/30_drabe 10-17-2010 03:14 PM

12 with an adult 16 without, im 15 and feel that i can go out alone and handle it

peeker 10-17-2010 04:26 PM

16 or older to go without an adult in Ohio.

radlad31 10-18-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter (Post 3703965)
This is new for Wis. this year.

Anyone under age 14 even with hunter education must still be accompanied by an adult
while hunting.
“Accompanied” for the purpose of accompanying a person at age 12 or 13 who has
completed hunter education means always being within Visual & Voice contact with the 12
or 13 year old hunter. Does not require remaining within arms reach and only one weapon.

Yeah, 14 and older are allowed to hunt by themselves (provided they passed hunter safety class). I was not allowed to gun hunt deer till I was 15, since my dad thought that kids younger than that were not responsible enough. Plus we were required to participate in all hunting activities like field dressing (you could watch the first time, but after that you were getting your hands dirty) and dragging the critters (not by ourselves of course). It wasn't just showing up, pulling a trigger and have daddy do the rest. We also had to be proficient in our shooting abilities (that meant spending a lot of time on the range), and had to take good care of our equipment.

Jake95 10-18-2010 11:00 AM

here in nj, the minimun age is 10 to hunt with an adult , and you have to be 15 to hunt on your own

salukipv1 10-18-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3703860)
12 here in IL to

Is it 12? I thought it was 10, maybe it's 10 to take the hunter safety course...?

16? 19? is that alone without an adult you mean? because good luck getting a kid started hunting at 16 or 19...gotta be out there before then!

Tobe_B 10-19-2010 06:19 PM

In Texas you can get your Hunter Ed whenever but it doesn't "count" until you are 9, but after you get it the choice is left up to your parens on whether or not you hunt alone.

johnnyo 10-19-2010 06:38 PM

Ontario... 12-15 with Mentor, 1 firearm. Under 16, aloud to carry own firearm, with adult supervision.

trevorpt 10-19-2010 07:17 PM

in ky its 16