Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have you ever wondered why?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Question Have you ever wondered why?

When you talk about things like Bigfoot people always say why do we not find their dead bodies? Do you ever wonder why... of the millions of birds there are why the ground is not littered with dead birds or why you never find dead bobcats, or turkeys, or coons, or wild pigs, or bears, deer, squirrels, coyotes or really any animal that has died in the wild? Mother nature has a way of keeping things cleaned up. Could this be why?
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

In all honesty......I have found a dead carcus of every about every common mammal at one time or another that is native to IL. Birds??? Who cares? I have found dead turkeys, deer, coons, squirrels, opossums, beavers, groundhogs and the list goes on. The rest of what is out there I have seen alive.

I see where your going with this though. It's hard to say what is out there and never found.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
In all honesty......I have found a dead carcus of every about every common mammal at one time or another that is native to IL. Birds??? Who cares? I have found dead turkeys, deer, coons, squirrels, opossums, beavers, groundhogs and the list goes on. The rest of what is out there I have seen alive.

I see where your going with this though. It's hard to say what is out there and never found.
Really? I spend alot of time in the wild and very rarely come across the carcass of a dead animal. I know they expire but I hardly ever find one dead.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Really? I spend alot of time in the wild and very rarely come across the carcass of a dead animal. I know they expire but I hardly ever find one dead.
Live it up! Doug

Could be the terrain. Southern IL. has a lot of big woods. Harder for the scavengers to find them?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Could be the terrain. Southern IL. has a lot of big woods. Harder for the scavengers to find them?
Good point!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Been in a lot of different wooded terrains, open terrains and I must say Ive never stumbled across a dead deer except one thats been poached on side of road ditch. Never seen dead coon except road kill, no squirrels nothing at all of that sort. Only thing I've seen is a bloated dead cow that died giving birth in a creek. Ive scaled miles at a time through the woods with friends just shooting squirrels and riding fourwheelers and never anything.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mohunter09
Only thing I've seen is a bloated dead cow that died giving birth in a creek.
that must of been a lovely sight and smell
Old 10-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

whether you have actually come up on a carcass of a wild animal, dead and bloated in the woods is one thing, but certainly you have found skulls and bones and remnants (turkey feathers??? Eh???) haven't you...or am I just some sort of wildlife acheologist with a golden horshoe up my butt...lol
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm in the woods all the time and I don't find a lot of dead bodies. Sure you will find feathers and sometimes a few bones, but for the number of animals out there that you know are dieing of either natural or predator causes it would seem that there would be a lot of stuff lying around. A few weeks ago there was a video of a dead deer that was tied to a stake and left to decompose without big predators eating it, just worms, maggots, microbes, etc and it didn't take but a few days for it to dissappear.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

I can't think of any of those animals that you listed that grow to 8' or 9' tall weigh in excess of 350# and stink to high heaven even when alive.

Let me guess you have seen a few while out scouting for Black Panthers.

Mitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.