Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do you use any attractant scent before the rut? >

Do you use any attractant scent before the rut?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: do you use attractant scent before the rut?
yes
28.57%
no
71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use any attractant scent before the rut?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do you use any attractant scent before the rut?

Yes or No, and if so, what do you use?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Spike

Thumbs up scent

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Yes or No, and if so, what do you use?
Early season I had never used anything till last yr. Last yr I put some Deer Cane in a spray bottle and used it as a cover scent for just one day, and that day I took my biggest buck scoring 150 on October 5th.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Spike

One season of guiding I tried to see if scents worked I use 3 different brands with 6 hunters a day 3 did not use any. Pre rut, no different in deer seen. The rut, the hunters not using sent saw more deer but one hunter did report a buck stop and smell the sent first time reported. Post rut sent hunters saw more deer. I know I have never had any luck with them. If you really want to kill big buck save your money go on FML and never stop hunting.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I don't use attractant scents ever. I just use cover scents and cover scents that make you smell like a pile of dirt are the best.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Spike

Intersesting, I'm also new here have been Deer hunting for 35 - 38 years I think and have had luck I know using scent pre-during and post rutt. I do have a question though for those who do use scent, I have for the last few years used an expensive scent that cost in neighborhood of $50 an ounce called VS-1 and I've seen results with it but not sure if any better then a scent bought from Walmart. Does anyone here no this brand I speak of and what is your opinion, thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

$50 bucks an ounce! WOW! For that it better gut em and load em too.