Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Scent control uses?
None, i dont worry about it.
16.67%
Kill spray to just kill off any scent.
16.67%
scent wafers and kill spray.
13.33%
cover scent spray, and scent wafers.
13.33%
Scent proof bags or scent proof boxes.
13.33%
Scent bags and spray.
10.00%
cover scent, scent proof bags, spray and anything else i can get my hands on.
30.00%
Cover spray only.
13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Scent Control

Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent Control

I wanted to poll everyone and see what scent control they actually use. My father swears that you don't need to do much scent control and that it's really overrated. However, i completely disagree but i do not go near as far as others. So read carefully and post what you think.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to be as clean as I can while in the woods, I hunt high in my tree stand, I hunt in regards to wind direction and approach my stand from a direction that utilizes proper scent control with the wind. I hunt certain stands during certain winds only and I use a lot of fox urine as a cover scent and I mean a lot. I spray it on everything in my tree stand except myself. I personally have never witness the fox urine I use spook a deer and have had bucks trail the fox urine trail the bottom of my boots leave while I am walking to my stand. Scent control is definitely not overrated as it absolutely means success or failure but I do not use the so called scent eliminatung sprays or suits as I just can't get myself to buy into all that.

Last edited by SJAdventures; 10-11-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

you can have 2 sides of scent control. 1- don't use it, hunt 100-150yds from the deer and no need. or 2- use all means sit in a stand with a bow on the trail they use and have the poss. of deer comming down wind of you.

-I like to be as clean as possible in the woods also, I shower, clean cloths,and spray down. I don't use cover scents
Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

i believe that deer can smell you but its to a certain extent. if you are fairly clean i think you would be fine but if you are hunting all weekend without showering i know the deer will smell you. ive had it happen to me. i do spray myself with scent killer and wash my clothes with dead down wind detergent but im new to bowhunting so i want to give myself the best possible chance to harvest one. now my hunting buddy he is the complete opposite he doesnt wash his camo everytime we go out he pisses off his stand spits his chew off his stand and has been known to even take a 6 pack in with him and he kills more deer than most guys i know.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

i take scent control very seriously. i'll start with what i do when i get my clothes. first i will wash all of my clothes in scent safe deturgent, i use dead down wind. then i will take my clothes and hang them on my front porch (i live in the country) so they air out and basically smell like fresh air. after that i will put scent wafers on every piece of clothing and put them in a big ziplock storage bag. after that ill throw the bag/bags in a plastic tote and keep it there until the season. then when its time to go out i get dressed at the hunting spot so i do not get any scent from the truck on the clothes. after im dressed ill spray down very good then again when i get to the stand.
-Storm
Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by StormDogOutdoors
i take scent control very seriously. i'll start with what i do when i get my clothes. first i will wash all of my clothes in scent safe deturgent, i use dead down wind. then i will take my clothes and hang them on my front porch (i live in the country) so they air out and basically smell like fresh air. after that i will put scent wafers on every piece of clothing and put them in a big ziplock storage bag. after that ill throw the bag/bags in a plastic tote and keep it there until the season. then when its time to go out i get dressed at the hunting spot so i do not get any scent from the truck on the clothes. after im dressed ill spray down very good then again when i get to the stand.
-Storm
I basically do the same thing except I dry mine on the BACK porch
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dirtyd, this one time I would say it's good to disagree with your dad. I go all out, especially when bow hunting. I had a large 6 point come to the base of my stand this past weekend. He stood there and smelled my climbing sticks for a good 3 minutes. He never knew I was there. He hung around for about 5 minutes before he casually walked off. I truly believe if I hadn't used scent control, that buck never would have hung around. And yes, he walked downwind of me, never suspecting a thing. On the bad side, he never offered me a clean shot with my bow. I wash my clothes in scent free detergent, use Arm & Hammer deodorant, brush my teeth with baking soda, and rub pungent weeds on my clothes and boots before getting on the stand. Your going to spook deer regardless if you use scent control or just hunt the wind, but every ounce of protection is worth the time. I firmly believe in scent control. I believe it's made a huge impact in my success as a deer hunter. Of course, it's not a bad idea to hunt the wind when you can also.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go all out as well. I use actual scent glands skinned iff the back legs of big bucks tie them to my boots and waist.I have got animals without them.My reasoning for it is this I hunt high, steep difficult very mountainess terrain and can't always play the wind to my advantage.Because the wind is either prevailing or the terrain Is so steep that rocks falling will startle the game or it's just too open and I have to use cover to get across. My main method 95 percent of the time is glass and then stock.I do use wind to my advantage as much as I can, but if the wind is prevailing the cover scent does have them somewhat at ease.Location is the thing I play the most when I spot and stock. I glass areas that I know hold monster bucks and I don't go after one unless it's to my standards.Next To come are longer than averge shots. I hunt an area where 300 yards us the closest I can get.I not talking does and small bucks here Im talking big monster mulies that will turn on a dime and take off the minute a rock rolls down a hill cause the sheep are moving. These animals can be skittish
so longer shot are a neccessity. Now before MR Deer goes off on long shots I already now your a moron and if you want to debate me Im ready.I've done 25 plus pages on sportsmanship and sent people crying In the offseason Im more than ready. Cause winning is everything.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Now before MR Deer goes off on long shots I already now your a moron and if you want to debate me Im ready.I've done 25 plus pages on sportsmanship and sent people crying In the offseason Im more than ready. Cause winning is everything.
Roflmao. Good one Jeff! Sent people crying in the off-season CLASSIC!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My methods have changed over the years and admittedly, it's really because I'm getting more lazy as the years roll on by. LOL! What I like to do is... oh, wait.... I may say later.

===================

Ok, at the beginning of the poll, I saw what almost looks to be a WARNING... that this is a public poll that anyone can read.

So, if that's true, can ANYONE here tell me what I voted on?

LOL!

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.