Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unlikely duo

Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Spike

Default Unlikely duo

I was hunting today over a big white oak, acorns are falling everywhere, and had 2 unlikely deer come in together. One was a fawn just losing its spots and the other is a 3 pt small buck. I thought they might have just coincidently walked in together but it was apparent they were together. The small buck seemed to have taken a parental role of sorts over the fawn. The two deer interacted for about 45 minutes while eating acorns constantly. It was everything I could do to keep from laughing as they crunched acorns together 20 yds from my ladder stand. The small buck would go over to the fawn and lick its head and nudge up against it kind of like a mama doe would do. When the buck walked off, sure enough, the fawn followed and off they went. No idea where its mom went, but it seems they have a mutual partnership going. I figure I will see them again soon as they will be easy to identify.

Just thought I would share.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

may just be a coincidence like you said but it is possible for some does to develop antlers... just a thought.... very very far fetched but a cool thought

Last edited by kyslayer; 10-10-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by northms
No idea where its mom went, but it seems they have a mutual partnership going
Good for them. The mama doe was possibly killed and the fawn wants to pal around with the buck so as to learn from him and survive the winter?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's far fetched. We know very little about the inner social workings of deer behavior when it comes down to it. The fawn needed an adult deer to look after it. Came across the 3pt and followed him around. The 3pt tolerated the fawn and now probably is comfortable with having him around. Even a buck would know a fawn from an adult deer. Maybe he did kinda take him under his wing knowing it was a youngster.

I have cam photos of two fawns with a group of bucks over a two week period. No does anyhwere around them.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

yep, I have seen it b-4, mama goes in my freezer cause she spotted me early bow season, then I see the fawn the rest of the year buddied up with another family member. I usually won't take a doe with young fawn's unless she know's what I am.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

i was kinda jokin about does with antlers... then i said that was far fetched. Not that a fawn was with a little buck. I have seen the same thing. I was just reading about a ten point doe and when i read this it made me think about it. But is it possible for female deer to get antlers or is this a rumor? Here is a link to where I read about it

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/dis...ew.asp?tid=317
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely like already said that the momma doe had been killed or died and the fawn took up with the first deer that would tolerate it.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

kyslayer, it is possible for a doe to have horns. A guy I used to hunt with killed a 8 point and when he went to gut it he noticed it had male AND female parts. He called the game wardens and they took his deer! He said he would never call them again no matter what was wrong with his deer!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley
kyslayer, it is possible for a doe to have horns. A guy I used to hunt with killed a 8 point and when he went to gut it he noticed it had male AND female parts. He called the game wardens and they took his deer! He said he would never call them again no matter what was wrong with his deer!
Now that's a trophy animal!

"There's a 19 pointer w/ double drops! Ahh never mind he's only got one sex organ"