Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Propane?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default i stick to the ground

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks
How are you going to do push-ups and jumping jacks while deer hunting?
best way to warm up is to get that blood moving,
OP said blind, he didnt mention tree or ground,
Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

A few years ago, I found the ultimate deer stand. It was a shed that was built at the top of a coal mining operation. It had two windows that were 3' x 3" and had a door and a roof and walls and a floor and had a little table and chairs and a propane heater on top of a tank of propane.

Every year when I used it, I would put a couple of dollars in the basket for the people who bought the propane. I don't think that it used but one tank every 10 years - because you didn't have to burn the propane heater more then 3 hours a day and you didn't have to sit in the stand more then 3 hours to get a deer.

When I came back to use the stand last year the owners son complained that someone had broken in and had stole their spotting scope. I have a 15X scope on my rifle and I did not need to steal their cheap scope.
The next time I came to the hunting shack - the door was locked with a 1/2 inch bolt and a big padlock.

I burned a big hole in the sleeve of my hunting coat two years ago, reaching around the propane heater to shut it off. I didn't know it until I got home that night. The heater glowed red hot.

It kind of bummed me out - because I paid $250 for the coat.

In my tree stand, I use a old Kerosun heater and a wooden box - that I call my fireplace. It gets so hot in my tree stand that it melts the chocolate bars in my pockets. I have walls and a roof but no windows in my tree stand.

I would say that the best heater would be a Kerosun heater and to leave the heater in your tree stand all year long. That way the deer would become accustomed to smelling the Kerosene in that area and would not pay any attention to it after a while.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
A few years ago, I found the ultimate deer stand. It was a shed that was built at the top of a coal mining operation. It had two windows that were 3' x 3" and had a door and a roof and walls and a floor and had a little table and chairs and a propane heater on top of a tank of propane.

Every year when I used it, I would put a couple of dollars in the basket for the people who bought the propane. I don't think that it used but one tank every 10 years - because you didn't have to burn the propane heater more then 3 hours a day and you didn't have to sit in the stand more then 3 hours to get a deer.

When I came back to use the stand last year the owners son complained that someone had broken in and had stole their spotting scope. I have a 15X scope on my rifle and I did not need to steal their cheap scope.
The next time I came to the hunting shack - the door was locked with a 1/2 inch bolt and a big padlock.

I burned a big hole in the sleeve of my hunting coat two years ago, reaching around the propane heater to shut it off. I didn't know it until I got home that night. The heater glowed red hot.

In my tree stand, I use a old Kerosun heater and a wooden box - that I call my fireplace. It gets so hot in my tree stand that it melts the chocolate bars in my pockets. I have walls and a roof but no windows in my tree stand.

I would say that the best heater would be a Kerosun heater and to leave the heater in your tree stand all year long. That way the deer would become accustomed to smelling the Kerosene in that area and would not pay any attention to it after a while.
You have got to be the most interesting person you have ever met.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

Thats what I was thinking just turning it on long enough to get warmed up,sucks when clothing gets burned or torn been there and done that.I do stomp my feet a little bit it sometimes helps I dont have much room to do jumpin jacks.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fletch920
You have got to be the most interesting person you have ever met.

LOL
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

I saw an ad the other day for something call Moc Socks or something. I am not sure on the name. Basically it was a thick overshoe for your boots that you would put those small disposable hand heaters in. It looked like a pretty good idea. Might be something to look into.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default warm feet and hands

I've used the disposable hand warmers before, just put them in your boots, or in your gloves.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

hand warmers?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Spike

have used hand warmers in my boots, but lack of oxygen keeps them from working very much. Years ago used to have electric socks that used 9volt battery's but don't know where to find them now...... (always got kidded about them--but they worked!!!)
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Boot Blankets

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
If you guys dont recommend a propane heater do you have any suggestions on warm boots and bibs?
Icebreaker Insulated Boot Blanket Overboots. I have had a pair for years. When my feet start to get cold, they warm up fast in these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.