Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
which compond bow to purchase? >

which compond bow to purchase?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

which compond bow to purchase?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default lots of options

as others stated i would consider good used bow over new,
i would try different bows, see if friends will take you out,
maybe if there's a range in the area,
also what do you plan on hunting? mostly turkeys/deer?
for that may not want/need same type of bow as someone who hunts bigger game,
how see how comfortable you are various #'s/let off's,
i paid about $500 for my browning tornado about 10 yrs ago,
still a great bow.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

Years ago I was in your situation. I went to my local archery shop and tried out the compound bows. I found that I liked the way Mathews bows fit me nicely and I felt very comfortable with it. Within a week or two somebody traded a Mathews bow in with arrows, broadheads, and quiver. I got the whole outfit for $400.

I'm still hunting with that set-up to this day. Shoots as good as the day I bought it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Used is a sweet deal on the budget,I paid 250 for my Mathews FX a 2004 model but I love the way it feels and it shoots very well. It is great in tight quarters a tree stand or in the bush on the ground. Shop around because like all things people sell out when they loose intrest and this can save you hundreds of dollars. Good Bow Hunting to ya.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
by the time you get a good setup that you will like and keep for a long time you are looking at $1200 easy, complete bow arrow's broadheads.
I recently upgraded to a Hoyt, and with the rebate everything totaled about $800. If you want bleeding edge, top of the line, I agree it can be pricey but I don't buy into the argument that you must spend over $1000 to get a decent hunting rig.

That being said two bows that instantly pop into mind when I read your thread are the Diamond Edge and Hoyt Turbo Hawk. The TurboHawk is one of the best values on the market right now.
Yep...I bought the Turbo Hawk. It's a great bow and a good price IMO. It's not the fastest bow on the market, but it's plenty fast for killing deer (already got one this season with it).

To echo what others have said, the important thing is to shoot a lot of different bows before deciding. What works for me or some others might not feel right to you. Only you know what feels right and works for you.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 10-07-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

I've got under $500 total in a Bear, Lights Out model, cabela's brand carbon arrows, cabela's brand broadheads, sights, quiver, etc.

It's not the fanciest thing, but I'm really just a rifle hunter who uses a bow to extend my season in VA. Works well for me, and I'd be more than comfortable shooting a whitetail at 35 yards. Thats all it takes.