Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bobcats...should I shoot them? >

Bobcats...should I shoot them?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bobcats...should I shoot them?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

All I know is that I was on a hunt in Texas last year and the ranch owner told me I can shoot any coyote of bobcat I saw. And I was fortunate enough to take on with my bow and had it full mounted on a foam rock. Gorgeous mount.
Attached Thumbnails Bobcats...should I shoot them?-bobcat-001.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Mr. Deer Hunter, its is only logical that a Bobcat would love turkey poults. They are small, defenseless, and tasty. The logic that its alright to kill one for that reason is ludicrous at best.
Bobcats have been killing turkeys since before Man was a significant threat to wildlife on a large scale, in other words, for millions of years.
To kill a bobcat as a form of "wildlife management" is not only illegal in some states,being that they are a regulated game animal in most states.
It lends itself to a lack of responsibility as well. Also, it adds credence to the arguments of anti-hunters that we just want to hunt so we can kill something\anything.
You seem to not understand the concept of predator control. You're talking like a liberal democrat from chicago.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kelleno
You seem to not understand the concept of predator control. You're talking like a liberal democrat from chicago.
There is no reason to be insulting people on a open forum such as this.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Wow number one bobcats are territorial. So having a infestation is virtually impossible. I've hunted them for awhile in 3 states. They don't eat anymore then a coyote or a fox. In fact there numbers are far less then the fox and yotes.

Lets say you have a 1000 acres. You may have one or two that use that 1000 acres as their home range. Where as there might be 10 - 15 yotes and maybe 5 fox that call that 1000 acres home. The only reason you have so many pics is becuase the camera was probably placed on one of the cats outer territory lines. Which they patrol scent marking quit a bit. So killing a bobcat to just kill as a management tool is absolutely ridiculous and lacks knowledge on the subject.

Not saying shooting them is wrong I've shot many and think it's the top trophy in the predator hunting world.

Management tool no!

Last edited by deernutz; 10-03-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Fork Horn

Check the regs., we have a bobcat season in KY.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

If there is a season for legally hunting them in your area, then by all means, hunt them. If there isn't, there isn't a season for a reason...ask your state game managers to explain it to you. Shooting them out of season is no different than any other kind of poaching in my opinion, no matter what your justification may be. I see a lot of posts on here (rightfully) slamming people that poach deer, so at least be consistent and call all illegal taking of animals what it is: poaching.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, the original poster lives in Texas. As previously mentioned Bobcats are considered a "nongame" species in Texas. There is no closed season on them, you can shoot them anytime you want.

The only requirements are if you want to sell the pelt or transport it out of state.